Question

Honor Student
DarrylF
Message 1 of 22 (12,022 Views)

Error Installing HP Protect Security Tools - Installation Error - 1722.

This error message occurs when install SP47500 on Windows 7 (32 Bit)  Latop EliteBokk 8440P

I don't believe its the installer program as i have installed other Service packs without any problem

The application was previously installed and then removed a while ago.  I was trying to install the Validity Fingerprint sensor and gave up in frustration .  Maybe all the relevant  components were not removed properly . 

There is a  icon on the control panel  (HP Protect Security Manager ) that i click on  and says application does not exist. This may be the issue , but i can't find a way to remove it.

Have already looked for any references  to existing HP Protect applications in the (add remove programs)

Error Message Detail :

Log Name:      Application
Source:        Installer
Date:          2011/05/22 08:10:46 PM
Event ID:      11722
Task Category: None
Level:         Error
Keywords:      Classic
User:          UCS-SOFTWARE\Darryl.Frittelli
Computer:      swbr1561l.ucs-software.net
Description:
Product: HP ProtectTools Security Manager -- Error 1722.There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program run as part of the setup did not finish as expected. Contact your support personnel or package vendor. Action InstallDPPassFilter.C1FEA41F_343C_49D4_A3E1_318701224C54, location: C:\windows\system32\, command: regsvr32 /i /s dppassfilter.dll
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
  <System>
    <Provider Name="Installer" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="0">11722</EventID>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>0</Task>
    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2011-05-22T18:10:46.000000000Z" />
    <EventRecordID>10696566</EventRecordID>
    <Channel>Application</Channel>
    <Computer>swbr1561l.ucs-software.net</Computer>
    <Security UserID="S-1-5-21-474514352-978544164-2580979957-3755" />
  </System>
  <EventData>
    <Data>Product: HP ProtectTools Security Manager -- Error 1722.There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program run as part of the setup did not finish as expected. Contact your support personnel or package vendor. Action InstallDPPassFilter.C1FEA41F_343C_49D4_A3E1_318701224C54, location: C:\windows\system32\, command: regsvr32 /i /s dppassfilter.dll</Data>
    <Data>(NULL)</Data>
    <Data>(NULL)</Data>
    <Data>(NULL)</Data>
    <Data>(NULL)</Data>
    <Data>(NULL)</Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Binary>7B32324234304436412D344634312D344141352D393334422D3431373936413944464343337D</Binary>
  </EventData>
</Event>

Student
florin_d
Message 2 of 22 (11,951 Views)

Re: Error Installing HP Protect Security Tools - Installation Error - 1722.

same issue here trying to uninstall/repair HP protect Security Tools.

Any solution found?

Tutor
msawyer91
Message 3 of 22 (11,893 Views)

[ Edited ]

I ran into this problem and I was bound and determined to find a solution.  I found one that worked for me, and I hope what I found will work for you as well.  I'm providing you with the answer first, and if you want the gory details, you can keep reading. :smileyhappy:

The Answer

This involves making a change to the Registry.  BE CAREFUL!

1. Launch Registry Editor (regedit.exe).
  2. Drill down to HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa.
  3. Here you should see a multi-string value (REG_MULTI_SZ) named "Notification Packages".  (In my case this was missing.)
  4. If this value does not exist, create it.  Right-click in the right-hand pane and choose "New > Multi-String Value."  (It's very important you choose Multi-String Value.)  Name it Notification Packages (there is a space in the name).
  5. Double-click on Notification Packages to edit it.
  6. Type the value scecli on the first line, then click OK. 
  7. Close Registry Editor.
  8. Retry the installation.

Microsoft TechNet article on Notification Packages: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc963221.aspx

EDIT:  I checked my wife's PC; she doesn't have a fingerprint reader so this software was never installed.  She only has "scecli" listed for her Notification Packages but it's still a REG_MULTI_SZ type (multi-string).  I previously posted in step 6 to add DPPassFilter on the first line and scecli on the second (I saw these on the good machine).  You just need scecli there; DPPassFilter will get added by the installer and you will be fine.

The Gory Details

I had some powerful tools in my arsenal, including Visual Studio 2010 and Process Monitor.  With these, I was able to connect to DPPassFilter.dll and call its DllInstall method repeatedly and capture the HRESULT code that came back.  This can be done while leaving the Windows Installer error dialogue up...this keeps the files in their places and allows you to manipulate them.  If you ran RegSvr32.exe against the DPPassFilter.dll, you'd find that the operation would fail with code 0x80004005 which, unfortunately, is a Microsoft catch-all error code, specifically E_FAIL (the operation failed).

Process Monitor provided a lot more insight, and it turns out that Dllinstall was looking for a registry value named "Notification Packages" under HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa.  I found this by testing on a machine I knew was good, and comparing the Process Monitor results with the failing machine.

On the good machine, the registry query value for Notification Packages under HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa came up as SUCCESS (Type: REG_MULTI_SZ, Length: 42, Data: DPPassFilter, scecli), but on the "bad" machine, the result was NAME NOT FOUND.  This enabled me to make the necessary fixes to get this problem resolved.

My guess is that the installer does not do a good job checking for the existence of a Registry key and, if it doesn't exist, it bombs instead of creating it.

I hope this works for you!

Honor Student
RandiNSam
Message 4 of 22 (11,626 Views)

[ Edited ]

Holy Crap!!! It worked! EVERYTHING else I read said blah, blah, blah... with six pages of things to try and then download a registry cleaner. I also read tons of bad things about registry cleaners so... I didn't want to do that! I been working on trying to get this fixed for two months! So... Thank you, thank you very much for figuring this out! Oh yeah... it wasn't the HP Protect Tools I was having a problem with, it was a HP Simplepass software update, which I wouldn't have cared but it has been acting funny for a couple of months now and it's irritating! Awesome job!

Student
nicejobatall
Message 5 of 22 (10,586 Views)

[ Edited ]

@msawyer91

Nice job! The whole HP Software is a disaster. That was very helpful. It works for me after restart my PC! One more step!

-The newest Version of HP Protect Tools Security (sp54684.exe) isn't working with other applications (fingerprint and password). That version works: sp53478.exe

-Softpaq Downlaod Manager is the slowest app I know (the programm and your slow server, sometimes up to 2 Mbits, wow!

-Fingerprint at Windows boot is so slow

-newest Bios drops the SSD Speed

I think it was my last HP computer.

My friend has same problems (I've a 8460p he has version before).

HP are you in business or in holiday?

It's a shame!

Top Student
MikeC_PT
Message 6 of 22 (9,954 Views)

I'm trying to install this on Windows 8 and yet the same error appears.... It seems HP smiple doesn't care...

Regents Professor
AttackofZaq
Message 7 of 22 (9,940 Views)

Hello MikeC_PT.  I understand that you're having issues installing HP Protect Security Tools in Windows 8, is this correct?

Could you post the full error you're receiving as well as the model number of your notebook?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please click the white star under my name to give me Kudos as a way to say "Thanks!"

Click the "Accept as Solution" button if I resolve your issue.

Top Student
MikeC_PT
Message 8 of 22 (9,918 Views)

[ Edited ]

Sorry should have posted that info in the 1st post.

I actually have more than one notebook with the problem:

Product: HP ProtectTools Security Manager -- Error 1722.There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program run as part of the setup did not finish as expected. Contact your support personnel or package vendor. Action InstallDPPassFilter_x64.4D0EAAF1_2D33_4FFF_AA08_6F47502DAAA2, location: C:\windows\system32\, command: regsvr32 /i /s dppassfilter.dll

HP Probook 4530s in this case (Windows 8 x64)

The strange thing is location C:\Windows\system32... in a 64bit system shouldn't dll's go to  "SysWOW64"?

Thanks

Regents Professor
AttackofZaq
Message 9 of 22 (9,877 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hello again MikeC_PT.  The 1722 error refers to MSI (Microsoft's Installer program).  Generally this means that MSI is corrupt and needs to be reinstalled. 

You would indeed think that 32-bit .DLL files would go into System32 and that the 64-bit .DLLs would go into SysWOW64.  However, something about the long term use of the System32 folder made that not work.  Here is some more information on that if you would like to read more. 

I did some research trying to locate the appropriate download for Windows 8 as far as MSI is concerned.  I did not locate one that specifically states it supports Windows 8 but I think trying to reinstall the Windows 7 version is your best bet.  Here is a link to that download. 

This is a system critical utility.  So if you run into a situation where reinstalling using the Windows 7 download does not work you'll need to re-install Windows 8 and try again.

I hope you find this information helpful!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please click the white star under my name to give me Kudos as a way to say "Thanks!"

Click the "Accept as Solution" button if I resolve your issue.

Top Student
MikeC_PT
Message 10 of 22 (9,874 Views)

Hi,

Thanks, there is acctually a version for windwos 8, If you look into more recent Probook modules, in the Drivers, security section there is a version of HP Protect Tools that should work for Windows 8 32 and 64, but even using those I get the same error!

Also this was custom, not upgrade install, I was never able to install Protect Tools and I've tried several Win7 and 8 version available.

The problem is most likely with the DLL or the way the installer tries to register it, but its still a problem of the package provided by HP, and it seems to be affecting several models.

Couldn't HP add the appropriate Microsoft Windows Installer prerequisite(http://kb.flexerasoftware.com/doc/Helpnet/installshield15helplib/AddingMSIRedist.htm)??? I'll be happy to test this if needed.

Btw the link is for a MSU for windows vista- actually, windows 7 and Windows Installer 5 by default if I'm not mistaken, I can however try to install the Windows 7 SDK and see if it helps!

(I did tried the link just in case, but It give a signing error:
[Window Title]
Windows Update Standalone Installer

[Main Instruction]
Windows Update Standalone Installer

[Content]
Installer encountered an error: 0x80096002

The certificate for the signer of the message is invalid or not found.

[OK])

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation