Error Installing HP Protect Security Tools - Installation Error - 1722. (10901 Views)
Regents Professor
AttackofZaq
Message 11 of 22 (3,233 Views)

Re: Error Installing HP Protect Security Tools - Installation Error - 1722.

[ Edited ]

You are correct, I double checked and it indeed states "Vista."  However, they're the same platform and when I search Microsoft's Download Center for "Windows 7 MSI" that is where it takes me.  The version that Windows 8 (and also, Windows 7) uses is version 5.0 but I can not seem to find that for download either.  Version 4.5 seems to be the latest available for download.  That or it is very well hidden!

Microsoft is unlikely to allow a company to make alterations to their (core) operating system.  Even one as large as HP, so that is likely why HP has not built this fix into their notebooks. 

Since this is a problem within Windows itself and we can not (easily) find the correct MSI version to attempt to resolve the issue.  So, I honestly feel the best thing to do would be to reinstall the operating system just to rule out something going wrong during the install. 

When you say you tried various Windows 7 and 8 version but couldn't get it to work do you mean that it never worked in Windows 7 as well?  I just want to make sure I understand. 

EDIT: I didn't find a version of HP Protect Security Tools in the downloads section for your notebook.  Can you link me to what you've been trying to install?  Thanks!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please click the white star under my name to give me Kudos as a way to say "Thanks!"

Click the "Accept as Solution" button if I resolve your issue.

Top Student
MikeC_PT
Message 12 of 22 (3,219 Views)

I never tried 7 on this machine, once it came I just made a clean Windows 8 install, which is why I doubt very much a reinstall will make any diference.

I've tried to install the Windows 7 64 version for my model, since there is no specific download listed for windows 8, later I found a windows 8 package for a higer model (4540s)

See here: ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq//sp59001-59500/sp59253.html

So I downloaded this SP and tried it, but no luck either, and this one is listed under the Windows 8 64 security section for 4540s drivers.... 4530s and 4540s are very similar, but I acctuallt never tried it on 4540s modules so I don't know if it works there.

We have more models like this in the company running windows 7 64 bit and the Biometric device is working, and HP Protect Secrity Tools works as expectde too, so it seems this just affects Windows 8.

Top Student
MikeC_PT
Message 13 of 22 (3,211 Views)

[ Edited ]

Just reinstalled the OS last night, still can't install this on windows 8 :smileysad:

Regents Professor
AttackofZaq
Message 14 of 22 (3,196 Views)

Hello MikeC_PT.  Have you checked to see if HP has tested this notebook with Windows 8?  Most purchased after October 1, 2011 are expected to be supported.  However, right now the downloads section for your notebook is blank.  Locate your product number and visit this site to check if HP has tested the notebook with Windows 8.  Also, as there are many different versions of the 4530s it would help me if you would post that product number as well.  

You should verify that the operating system is detecting the Biometric devices as well.  You can do this from Device Manager.  In Windows 8 the easiest way to access Device Manager is to use the Windows+X key combination (this works from Desktop mode and Metro mode) and then select Device Manager.  Do you have a section labeled "Biometric Devices?"  If so, what is listed?

If you do have devices listed here I think the next step, if this isn't what you tried earlier, is to install the Windows 7 version within compatability mode.  One of the great things about Windows 8 is the updated compatability mode.

1. Uninstall the version you have installed now.
  2. Download the Windows 7 version to your desktop.
  3. Right click on the installer icon and select "Properties."
  4. Select the Compatability tab. 
  5. Check the "run this program in compatability mode" box.
  6. Select Windows 7 from the menu.
  7. Apply the change and install the application.
  8. Verify functionality and post the result.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please click the white star under my name to give me Kudos as a way to say "Thanks!"

Top Student
MikeC_PT
Message 15 of 22 (3,194 Views)

I very familiar with how Windows works... I wouldn't be here If I didn't saw any devices in "Biometric Devices" however, this does not explain the install error... 

I would be able to install the software the same way... just wouldn't have much use for it (Well maybe facial recognition)

Anyway under Biometric Devices Section I see “Validity Sensor” (Driver version: 4.4.228.0).

I’ve already tried the Compatibility mode, in fact when I install software that’s not target for the windows version I’m using I always do that… it’s in every MS guide and its quite obvious!

I also tried to install it normally but no joy….

My model seems to be Windows 8 compatibly, but the site is not very helpful because it says, some features might not work… but that’s a very generic message, and I’m sure its visible for every model.

Also they state that if in the Support Site “Windows 8” is listed in the drivers/software, then I should expect it to be fully functional, and if some driver is not listed and not working I should try the win 7 version.

But IMHO we are getting way off track with this issue… the issue is with the install package itself.

Top Student
MikeC_PT
Message 16 of 22 (3,193 Views)

Sorry forgot about the Produt Number:
A6E27EA#AB9
Top Student
MikeC_PT
Message 17 of 22 (3,151 Views)

[ Edited ]

Seems like HP is adding more drivers to support Windows 8

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=5060884&...

Maybe we'll see a fix for the HP Protect Tools soon :smileyhappy:

EDIT[Link was worng]

Top Student
manishmarley
Message 18 of 22 (3,085 Views)

umm..editing the rek value seems to work..thanks a lot..

Student
Leonardo90
Message 19 of 22 (2,946 Views)

Hi,

I have the same 1722 error, but in my case i see the mesage "Error 1722......Action UnregDPUsageTrack.1A860DC3_184B_42F5_9187_30C7..." What can I do?? :smileyfrustrated:
Regents Professor
AttackofZaq
Message 20 of 22 (2,906 Views)

Hello Leonardo90.  I understand you're getting the 1722 error when trying to install Protect Security Tools?

Try the solution described here.  Let me know if this is able to resolve the issue for you.

I hope you have a great day! :smileyhappy:

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation