Question

Top Student
kayessen38
Message 1 of 6 (177 Views)

Error Message

My computer is mobile workstation hpcompaq nw9440. On start up, I get the screen indicating the following:                            Checking File System E 

File System  NTFS

Volume Label  HP_Recovery  

and then it checks the disk and the computer boots up.

How do I resolve this?

Provost
erico
Message 2 of 6 (174 Views)

Re: Error Message

[ Edited ]

What is the installed operating system?

Have you  or your operating system scheduled a disk check to be started on startup?

Read through this helpful post at the How-to Geek.

Help others seeking a solution by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for Microsoft or HP****

2014 Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Top Student
kayessen38
Message 3 of 6 (155 Views)

I am sorry I did not include this information

I have Windows XP Prof Service Pack 2     2002 Version

I appreciate your help. Thank You

Provost
erico
Message 4 of 6 (141 Views)

[ Edited ]

Help us to help you by posting the following information.

1.  The full Model No. and Product No. of the notebook - see This HP web document if you don't how to locate the model number and\or product number.

How long ago was Windows XP 2002 version installed?

Do you defrag occasionally?

If your operating system has flagged the OS as "dirty" it will schedule the chkdsk utilty to run in an attempt to correct the issue.

Have you ever run the chkdisk utility?

Help others seeking a solution by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having

Top Student
rocky55rocky
Message 5 of 6 (91 Views)

"High CPU usage" What does it mean? Is it damaging and do i need to do something?

This is my 1st time on this website and everything i read was so helpful especially the fix-it videos that were posted by Dave the spywarepreventionguy.com, they were so easy to understand and i think it will help me fix my problem but i still dont know what "High CPU Usage" means.  Thank You all,  i wish i found this site earlier and will recommend it to my family and friends.

Provost
erico
Message 6 of 6 (83 Views)

Re: "High CPU usage" What does it mean? Is it damaging and do i need to do something?

[ Edited ]

That is nice to hear. So now you understand that the operating system may have had issues? 

Did you run the chkdsk utility?

Is all well with your PC now?

High CPU useage just means that a service that the CPU is using is occupying an unusually large number of CPU cycles. It is not damaging, but it can cause the PC's operation to seem to be perceptibly slower.

Issues with the sectors on the hard disk can also cause this to happen and that is why the operating syetm calls it into action. The chkdsk utility should be able to correct the issue as long as the hard disk is still in reasonable shape. It marks the bad sectors so they dont get reused and that generally fixes it. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation