Question

Tutor
mrjani
Message 1 of 10 (749 Views)

Error:No bootable device

Hi,

I own a Compaq Presario C716TU Notebook PC.
I use Windows 7.

I have two partitions:

C: (only windows is installed)

D: (only my data is present)

Recently i was working my laptop copying 'music' folder from 'D' to 'C' partition.
Suddenly my screen went blank(all my leds were on & screen was black) and stayed there continuously,
so i disconnected my laptop from AC Power,put it back & restarted.

When the Compaq logo appeared it stayed there for about 10mins and got the error 'No bootable device--Insert bootdisk and press any key'.

I have tried several suggestions:

- I tried entering BIOS settings( there also it stayed for 10mins before the bios screen appeared),
it did detect my Seagate hdd 160GB along with serial number,but booting from it didnt help.

-Reseating of the hdd also didnt help.

-I Have also tried Startup Repair(no os is listed), Install back Windows(no hdd detection).

-Ran hdd and ram test(tests passed but hdd tests dont even start & show its OK).

Note: I removed the hdd and then logging into BIOS, its "screen appeared without any delay".

Please can anyone lookup into the problem and provide me any suggestions whether the hdd has gone corrupt?
Please help!
Thanks in advance!
Intern
Eye_To_Eye
Message 2 of 10 (724 Views)

Re: Error:No bootable device

Hi

Did you test your HDD with hdd test tool in bios.

B.R
C A
**Click the KUDOS star on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
Tutor
mrjani
Message 3 of 10 (718 Views)

Thanks for the reply!

Yes i did test it.
But when i press enter on short or long test,
it doesnt start(no progress bar) but still it shows 'Hard Disk Test Passed' & an OK button.

But let me tell the bios detects my hdd, i can see that in my list of devices connected.
Intern
Eye_To_Eye
Message 4 of 10 (711 Views)

ı guess your hdd is down or plug out. can you plug in your hdd? if it is possible you can test your hdd with different pc. so if you have improtant data, you can take back up. if the second pc does not see your hdd, your hdd is broken down. :smileysad:

B.R
C A
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
Tutor
mrjani
Message 5 of 10 (707 Views)

Yes maybe.

I did check it on another pc.
Once i connected it on another pc,the connection sound is heard that some device is connected to pc but it doesnt show up in My Computer.

If my hdd has gone corrupt,then how come its showing up in BIOS Options?
Please suggest.
Intern
Eye_To_Eye
Message 6 of 10 (702 Views)

This is that may be hdd header issue or master boot record issue. your hdd still work but not work your partitions and boot sectors. if you start installation with different OS dvd, this will be fix boot error or if this is harwdare error, installation will fail. you can test. then may be your hdd has bad sectors.

B.R
C A
Tutor
mrjani
Message 7 of 10 (697 Views)

Ok thank you very much for your kind reply!

I am now confirmed that hdd has got completely down after going to a computer shop.

But i still dont understand how can this happen suddenly!
Intern
Eye_To_Eye
Message 8 of 10 (695 Views)

maybe electronical problem. maybe your notebook has a mechanical damage or shock from hdd.for example,  if you fast leave pc to table or drop your notebook, there is happen multiple problem. I dont know how you use your computer. so notebook is made electronical parts, then these parts  happens suddenly errors. :smileysad: ı changed my hdd last week:smileysad: due to same problem.

B.R
C A
Regents Professor
HaggisCat
Message 9 of 10 (689 Views)

Hard drives are the only moving mechanical part in a computer (other then the cooling fan) _ they spin _ very fast at 7200 rpm.

The small bearing inside there is sealed with grease and after a while, from the heat of the laptop, the bearing seizes up and the hard drive platter(s) simply stop spinning.

At times there will be no warning of this type of mechanical failure _ a solid state hard drive has no moving parts.

I will also point out here that people who create partitions on their hard drives to store valuable information are not protected from this type of failure.

Tutor
mrjani
Message 10 of 10 (681 Views)

Thanks for explaining!

Yes,I guess it happened due to heat related issues as my laptop frequently used to get overheat for long times.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation