Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Elitebook 840
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hello All,

Here is the issue I have that I noticed on my Elitebook 840 laptop running Windows Enterprise 7 64 bit.

When I click F4 it takes the computer to the lock screen. Normally this wouldn't be an issue, but it's a problem, because F4 is the key in excel that is supposed to provide absolute references to cells or the "$" as many know them. It's complete inefficient as I now have to type the $ manually and I'm not sure why this is like that.

I already tried the bios option for Fn keys, but it just made my Fn key not function at all, so I had to undo that change. I looked in the bios but couldn't find anything else specifically related to the F keys, let me know if I missed something.

Right know here is what happens:

F4 - Any application/program - sends me to lock screen

Fn + F4 - Gives me the prompt for different display configurations for multiple display setups - Works as expected.

Ctrl + F4 - closes current window (Yes I totally did that while typing this first time), as expected.

Alt + F4 - same as ctrl f4, also as expected.

As far as I know there aren't any other F4 combinations out there, and I'd really prefer to not have to press something with F4 every time I need to do absolute referencing. I also looked in excel, but didn't see any options.

Lastly this is a work computer, but I guess our IT guys don't ever use excel, since he seemed to have little interest in fixing the issue, but I don't have the ability to actually download things (like a hotkey regedit) or the HP software assistant, nor would I want to risk adding bloatware (from HP) or malware (from a 3rd party) to my new work computer.

Any help that can be offered would be appreciated.

Respectfully,

Michael

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello All,

I found a solution, that's probably fairly specific to my company, but in case anybody else's company uses HP laptops with the following software it might be something worth looking at.

Our company uses Imprivata Agent as a single sign-on gatekeeper, and there was some glitch or user access issue that ended up causing F4 to lock the computer screen. Once my IT department was able to reinstall and reprovision my rights on Imprivata the problem went away within a couple of business days and F4 finally works right.

So if you're having my specific problem and the typical bios option isn't working for you, then maybe check out some other conflicting software.

Respectfully,

Michael

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

[Update]: I swore I tried this before I posted with no effect, but I guess not. I did windows key + f4 and it works in excel, however, that's not really a solution as it's not nearly as convenient or efficient as simply pressing F4, also I'm not sure if this just worked because it's on my laptop keyboard and not the one on my docking station.

HP Recommended

Hello All,

I found a solution, that's probably fairly specific to my company, but in case anybody else's company uses HP laptops with the following software it might be something worth looking at.

Our company uses Imprivata Agent as a single sign-on gatekeeper, and there was some glitch or user access issue that ended up causing F4 to lock the computer screen. Once my IT department was able to reinstall and reprovision my rights on Imprivata the problem went away within a couple of business days and F4 finally works right.

So if you're having my specific problem and the typical bios option isn't working for you, then maybe check out some other conflicting software.

Respectfully,

Michael

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.