Question

Student
hptroubles
Message 1 of 1 (2,399 Views)

FTP (Active): Error 12002 connecting to ftp.microsoft.com

HP 310n desktop, windows XP, SP3, IE7

I recently performed a low level format and complete re-install of xp with service pack 2, and then installed service pack 3 because of a browser hijacker virus I couldn't eliminate.  Windows can't perform updates... I'm getting the "can't display page" error with internet explorer (IE7).  I'm getting this error with other support sites also.  I've downloaded malwarebytes,superantispyware, windows defender on another computer I have that is working fine and loaded and ran all that on this computer.  No virus was found.  When I use the windows diagnostic tool for network connections I get the following:

warn FTP (Passive): Error 12002 connecting to ftp.microsoft.com: The operation timed out
info HTTP: Successfully connected to www.microsoft.com.
info HTTPS: Successfully connected to www.microsoft.com.
warn FTP (Active): Error 12002 connecting to ftp.microsoft.com: The operation timed out
error Could not make an FTP connection.

my other hp computer passes the FTP tests.  Does anyone know how I can fix these errors?  I think this may be the problem I'm having with loading certain websites.   Any help would be greatly appreciated.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation