Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I've done a factory reset with the HP Recovery Manager. I'm not 100% sure, but I think I had before the factory reset 3 visibile paritions: C: drive, 😧 Recovery and F: HP_Tools and 1 invisible parition something with UEFI.

After the factory reset I have 4 primairy partitions: C: drive, 😧 Recovery, HP_Tools (invisible) and SYSTEM (invisible).

I do not know a lot about bios/uefi and partitions. Everything I know is from forums.

After the factory reset I tried to shrink my C: drive to create a new partition. One for OS and one for my data. But that wasn't possible. After some research I learned that you can create only 4 primairy paritions in BIOS mode. Because I thought I had a partition called something with Uefi, I assumed I have Uefi but my BIOS Setups says it is in legacy bios. In the BIOS setup I see some options for Uefi but I don't know what to do.

So my question is:

1. Can I make a factory reset so my bios mode is uefi? If yes, how to do?

My laptop:

HP Pavilion DV6-7080eb (http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03305889)

Windows 7, 64 bit

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Some additional information:

BIOS Revision: F.29

In the startup menu, "HP Advanced PC diagnostics" is an option for the F2 (In an other forum post, a HP Expert says it is an indication that the laptop has a UEFI environment installed).

In Boot options: legacy support can be changed to enable/disable, but secure boot is disabled and in grey (can't be changed).

In Boot options I see "UEFI Boot Order" and "Legacy Boot Order".

So I guess my laptop has UEFI, but why can't I make more than 4 partitions on my hard disk?

HP Recommended

Hi @Thomzc ,

Welcome to the HP Forums!Smiley Happy

It is a terrific place to find answers.
For you to have the best experience in the HP forum I would like to direct your attention to the HP Forums Guide Learn How to Post and More

I see that you are having a difficulty with partition your hard drive.  You tried to shrink C so you could have a partition just for your data.

Here is a link to Partitioning and Naming Hard Drives (Windows 7)  to guide you.

Here is a link to a YouTube Video which may also help. How to partition a hard drive on Windows 7

Here is another one from Windows.microsoft.com  Managing hard disks: recommended links.

I hope this helps.

Sparkles1

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.