Question
Faulty touchpad (Synaptics) and slow computer after extended use (memory leak)
Replies (43)

Top Student
Sn2rx
Message 11 of 44 (946 Views)

Re: Faulty touchpad (Synaptics) and slow computer after extended use (memory leak)

SOLUTION: (although it may not be what you all wanted)

Uninstal the synaptics touch driver; that's it.

After uninstalling the driver, my free ram stays at about 60%, never decreasing to 1%. I troubleshooted with an HP tech for an hour using poolmon, and there is 100%, absolutly, a severe RAM leak in the SynT(synaptics) driver.

The only negative in this solution is that the touchpad does not support gestures. Honestly, it was anoying not being able to scroll at first, but I got use to it.

I should also mention that my touchpad is now always responsive, it never stops working like it frequently use to.  

-Sn2rx

Intern
LeoSP
Message 12 of 44 (940 Views)

Re: Faulty touchpad (Synaptics) and slow computer after extended use (memory leak)

Yes, unninstalling the Touchpad driver and going back to the standard mouse driver from Microsoft really solves the problem .. never had any freezing this way ..... but it is not a good solution because you want the functionalities a touchpad is supposed to offer ...

I took a drastic measure and reinstall the Windows 8.1 from scratch .. just a clean install without any of the HP garbage and everything, I mean, all the problems went away .. has gone .. disappeared .. vanished .. 

and now I'm a happy customer with a great laptop and no malfunctions, errors, issues .. nothing o/

Top Student
Sn2rx
Message 13 of 44 (933 Views)

Really, a panacea? 

How exactly did you do a clean install without HP garbage, and are there any cons to doing this? 

Tutor
divieira
Message 14 of 44 (929 Views)

@LeoSP,

And does your touchpad work with scroll, gestures, etc.?

Did you use the recovery partition to install Windows 8, or some other media?
Intern
JeffJSmith
Message 15 of 44 (928 Views)

After the fresh install of Windows 8.1, what is the driver being used for the touchpad? And does it support gestures? This could prove very helpful! Jeff
Intern
LeoSP
Message 16 of 44 (925 Views)

Well .. it solved all my problems, I had plenty .. like wireless stopping, headset and hdmi and usb failure when you gently try to adjust the screen angle .. and the touchpad freezing now and then ..

I tried everything people suggested, hp customer service .. none worked and I was not satisfied with only the main functionalities of my touchpad, so I decided to do a clean install of Windows 8.1.

First,  you need the Windows Installation DVD for that, in my case I could download from my university website, there is an Alliance of free softwares called DreamSpark Microsoft is part of and can give it for free for students and I could download the Windows 8.1 Professional for free.

I made a bootlable USB with the ISO from Windows 8.1 .. inserted on the PC and restarted and followed the steps it requested.

The problem is I couldn't do the backup of the Recovery Partition, you can keep it if you want, but I chose to remove it... The HP software requests 16GB of free space in a usb drive, but my 16gb usb drive has only 14.9gb and I didn't want to buy a new one, so I went to their websites and requested the DVD just in case I need it in the future.

But I don't see any downside of a clean installation .. actually I'm very happy because there are less unecessary software on my laptop now, and I could install the missing drivers windows didn't find on its own from HP website, so I installed some Intel hardwares and also the touchpad listed there.

It's been two days without any problem =D The touchpad would freeze in less than 10 minutes before.

=D

Intern
LeoSP
Message 17 of 44 (922 Views)

About the TouchPad driver, I used the same one listed on HP support page, and everything is working and it hasn't freezed since them .. not a single time .. not even a blink .. 

but the problem is to get the Windows 8.1 media ... I could get from my university website .. I don't know any other way without break the law hahah =/

Top Student
Sn2rx
Message 18 of 44 (916 Views)

[ Edited ]

So if a clean install of windows 8.1 fixes all these problems, does that mean there must be a common denominator relating the problems to a specific HP softwear? I'm in slightly over my head, so don't be too critical! lol  

edit: Refering to the problems other than the touchpad- wireless, audio, etc. I personally never had these problems 

Intern
LeoSP
Message 19 of 44 (907 Views)

Well .. it solved MY problem .. and I decided to share my experience .. and I really can't confirm it'll be the same with your laptop.

I took the decision to reinstall everything because I'm on vacation .. I did like this ultrabook .. and I was almost throwing it against the wall with this problems I listed before .. it was a matter of time hahahaha ...

So I decided the clean installation because I really wanted to give it a try and because I don't like OEM installations, they include things we don't want to, and even if you trying to remove them, it'll always keep something behind.

I don't know what caused the freezing/leeking memory problem... but I really don't want those softwares from HP to tell me what to do with my laptop... it's too much software you don't need to.

When I upgraded from factory windows 8 to the windows 8.1 using the Windows Store, it said that the Touchpad driver was incompatible and I had to reinstall it after the upgrade was done, so I did and the problems started... sooo .. I think something or some configuration were left behind that was causing a kind of conflict (I'm not an expert) .. 

The only thing I can say is my laptop is better now .. it's working as it was supposed to work .. the touchpad gestures is working .. it's not freezing .. I can use a headphone and touch the screen without and gap in the sound .. my wireless is not dropping connections (beside I didn't install the windows update for Intel N wireless driver and I won't because it is working now).

So .. if you decide to go with a clean installation of Windows 8.1 ... you need to keep in mind you can install everything again from HP website, there are all drivers and softwares there, including those from support ... the only thing you won't find is the recovery media, this one you need to request by mail for free and it takes a few days to arrive.

But in my case I couldn't use my Windows KEY extracted before I started the clean installation from BIOS ... the new windows 8.1 I tried to install said I couldn't use the KEY provided, but I had another one from Microsoft DreamSpark program for free, so, for me it worked fine.

If you have any doubt, feel free to ask before you start to kill the factory installation.

I do have all hardware working, all the drivers are available from windows driver or from hp support website.

Leo

Intern
JeffJSmith
Message 20 of 44 (900 Views)

So, I think it sounds as though you are using the Synaptics touchpad driver from the HP Support site.

Do you see non-paged pool increasing when you move the mouse around? You can see this from Task Manager on the Performance / Memory tab. This was one of the issues reported - memory leaking away because of the touchpad driver. Can you confirm what non-paged pool usage you are seeing after some time of use of the mouse? Is it increasing as you move the mouse about? It will increase if you just move the mouse pointer using the touchpad around in circles for a few minutes (or less) if this is still a problem.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation