Question

Honor Student
LanaHP
Message 1 of 5 (3,197 Views)

Fingerprint reader not listed in Biometric Devices hp pavilion dv6

Hello, i purchased the lap top hp pavilion dv6 in dubai last july.I got windows instaled and all that jazz and also fingerprint reader.I noticed that lap top is blacking ,behaving wierd sometimes and crashing,etc. So anyways,i didnt do anything yet but after i installed game on it everything went to hell. Im not really pc litterate so exuse my language.

To cut the story short i reinstalled windows ,got the instalation cd from friend,managed to get it work.But then i saw there is more then 50 gb windows (i didnt know what is it) backed up and i got advice to delete it cause it takes too much space.What i didnt know that this is aparently new,u dont get cd like before but its stored on your computer (instalation cd).

And now,everything is working except fingerprint reader. I called support here in serbia and he couldnt help me.What should I do?

I really want to use this option and i should have right to use it so please help me with the problem cause im getting really iritated with HP trying to solve this problem.

Thank you

Dean
Dragon-Fur
Message 2 of 5 (3,190 Views)

Re: Fingerprint reader not listed in Biometric Devices hp pavilion dv6

Hi Lana,

I don't have your exact dv6 product (model number) so I can't do this for you, but I can help.  Here are the essentials to you you where you need to be.   The following instructions are enough to get you to your computer's website and to the driver (for the fingerprinter hardware) and the software (for the password database) so you can use SimplePass (or Digital Persona).  (HP sometimes calls SimplePass and DP the same thing, and they are similar - fact is, they are a bit different and they really are called something different when you load them and use them on your computer.  Oh, well.)

While you are at your website, do take a look around!  There will be other updated software, manuals for your noteboot, how-to pages... lots of "stuff" to help you become better aquainted with your computer.

====================================================================================

Assure that you have copies of your driver and SimplePass/Digital Persona software packages:

Go to the top of this Forum page - to Support and Drivers

• Enter your notebook model number
  • Open the HP web page for your Product / Model
  • Go to the Software and Drivers Downloads page
  • Enter your Operating System
  • Scroll down - Go to category Driver – Keyboard, Mouse and Input Devices
  • Select “Validity Fingerprint Sensor Driver” (Newest Version)
  • Save this installation package onto your computer.  Make a note of the file's NAME and its location.
  • Go to category Software - Security section and click to open it.
  • Select the SimplePass package OR Digital Persona package
  • Save this installation package onto your computer.  Make a note of the file's NAME and its location.

Remember:  Install Drivers FIRST - THEN the software.

• Install the Validity Sensor Driver installation package:  It will be named sp*.exe – the package will most likely be located in the Downloads folder.  If you have ‘Admin’ control, you may highlight the package and “double-click” to install it, else Right-Click, Select ‘run as Administrator’ and install.

• Find the installation package of SimplePass/Digital Persona Software you downloaded.  It will be named sp*.exe – the package will most likely be located in the Downloads folder.  If you have ‘Admin’ control, you may highlight the package and “double-click” to install it, else Right-Click, Select ‘run as Administrator’ and install.

====================================================================================

BTW - The Support and Drivers  link is a great place to enter keywords and look up documents.  It's a good reference, especially when you are far away from other kinds of help!

I hope this helps!

Good Luck!

It is my pleasure to assist.

Say “Thanks!” by clicking the Kudos Star to show your appreciation for the help.

Fixed?  Mark this Post “Accept as Solution” to help others find the answers.

Note: You can find “Accept as Solution” only on threads started by you.

Kind Regards,
Dragon-Fur
Honor Student
LanaHP
Message 3 of 5 (3,180 Views)

hey thanks for reply! Im gonna follow these steps and try and see if it works later today. :womanhappy:

Honor Student
jonbell
Message 4 of 5 (2,949 Views)

I have just purchased a HP laptop with biometric. How do I set this up to recognise my my fingerprint?

Intern
Karthik4U
Message 5 of 5 (2,895 Views)

Use the HP SimplePass Software! :smileyhappy: or Go to Hp Security Assistant->Passwords->Hp Simplepass! :smileyhappy:

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation