Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

hi i got dv6-6156ea laptop and i have the same problen and my fingerprint reader also doesn't shows up as it used to. i have windows 7 with 64-bit and i also downloaded digital person and that wasn't helpful either. i also update my validity sensor but that didn't help as well. I restarted my pc and press f2 and clicked on Bios Management but there isn't any version of it there. so i downloaded the Bios software of the hp website but that didn't help either and is there is any soloution for this?

Any help will be appreciated.

Muhammad

HP Recommended

I had the same problem with the same model. I think my solution will work for most laptops with Biometric Devices not being detected in windows. In my case, it's windows 7 ultimate. It's mostly related to the services getting disabled because of either security updates or system optimization. Anyhow, just follow the steps below and I hope this also works for you.

1. Download all the latest Fingerprint Sensor Drivers and related software specific to your device.

2. Uninstall your Biometric Devices and Simplepass drivers and applications. You can do the first one by going to Start>Control Panel>Device Manager>Right click on Biometric Device and Select Uninstall. (include the software driver). For the Simplepass, Start>Control Panel>Programs and Features>HP Simplepass>Uninstall (dont delete the identity profiles if you wanna save your passwords).

3. Now for the Services. Make sure you follow the path and set all of the services to "Automatic". You can do this by going to Start>Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Services.

Double click on ALL (although you have to do this one at a time) the services listed below and change the "Startup type" to Automatic.

-Credential Manager

-Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

-DCOM Server Process Launcher

-RPC Endpoint Mapper

-Windows Biometric Service

-Plug and Play

**you don't have to follow the order above should some services gives an error when you're setting it.

Once done, reboot.

4. Install the updated biometric driver first and then the simplepass software (Simplepass 2012 at the time of this writing).

5. Go to Start>Control Panel>Biometric Devices>Change Biometric Settings. Make sure "Biometrics On" is selected and "Allow users to Log on to Windows..." is checked if you want to login to Windows using the sensor. Once done, reboot.

6. Test and configure the sensor and application. Enjoy.

**If the sensor is not displayed upon Windows boot-up, click on "switch user" to show the option to login to Windows using the sensor.

Hope this helps!

HP Recommended

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp55001-55500/sp55109.exe

Install ^^ it worked perfectly for me and I had teh same problem as you. 

HP Recommended

The New Fingerprint reader Fingkey Hamster III is a fingerprint recognition device with installed fingerprint sensor which will adhere to authenticity.This Fingerprint scanner / reader is available with new design, new innovation in Dry finger detection & Fake finger detection.high durability,speedy verification Fingerprint ReaderImage-74.jpg

HP Recommended

Try a System Restore!! it Worked for me....just did it now 😄

HP Recommended

Hi I tried but got the message "DP persona 3.0.0 cannot be installed on this computer> Please contact digitalpersona regarding the list of supported platforms

any idea ?

HP Recommended

I'm facing a similar problem. I have a Probook 6360b, running Windows 7.

Installed on the computer I have HP ProtectTools, Validty Finger Print Sensor (driver up to date), and Validity WBF DDK (http://www.validityinc.com/post.aspx?id=186). I also have Digital Persona WBF Fingerprint support.

When I open the device manager it shows that the driver is working properly. I can use the finger print reader to log into Windows, and when I scan my print whilst Windows is open it registers it and opens HP ProtectTools. But if I go to Control Pane -> Hardware and Sound -> Biometric Devices, it says: "Windows did not find any biometric devices on this computer. You might need to attach your device or install device drivers."

As a result, I'm unable to use the fingerprint reader with my password manager, which similarly reports that it can't detect it on the machine. Any clues as to how and fix this?

HP Recommended

download

HP Recommended

Fingerprint reader not listed in Biometric Devices

HP Recommended
Did you try the troubleshooting steps listed in this thread?
-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.