Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
hi. could anyone pls help me reset the BIOS password on an EliteBook 6930p I can't access the BIOS settings screen bytheway because its password protected. any help would be greatly appreciated
52 REPLIES 52
HP Recommended

If it is possible, it will be in your Maintenance & Service Manual HERE but this being a Business class laptop I think you have to have it done by HP service center.

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

HP Recommended

OK, DOESN'T Work!!

did the remove cmos batt for 30 min or longer, started /w power, no batt and did get the message, press F6 and started fine.

NOPE, still there, can't change the password or remove it.  The original owner of the laptop did try a few passwords but he can't get in either.  This is a company laptop.

is there a way to jump the chip like in a regular motherboard and clear the cmos?

HP Recommended

Unknown user password

If the computer you are servicing has an unknown user password, follow these steps to clear the

password:

NOTE: These steps also clear CMOS.

1. Shut down the computer. If you are unsure whether the computer is off or in Hibernation, turn the

computer on, and then shut it down through the operating system.

2. Disconnect all external devices connected to the computer.

3. Disconnect the power from the computer by first unplugging the power cord from the AC outlet

and then unplugging the AC adapter from the computer.

4. Remove the battery.

5. Remove the real-time clock (RTC) battery.

6. Wait approximately 5 minutes.

7. Replace the RTC battery and reassemble the computer.

8. Connect AC power to the computer. Do not reinsert any batteries at this time.

9. Turn on the computer.

All passwords and all CMOS settings have been cleared.

HP Recommended

thanks but been there, done that.

Not happening.   Finally got it, but because original owner remember.

HP said to replace the motherboard, not nice for a company computer not a personal one

HP Recommended

There is not a CMOS battery on a 6930p....

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

• I Love Kudos! If you feel my post has helped you please click the White Kudos! Star just below my name
  • If you feel my answer has fixed your problem please click 'Mark As Solution' and make it easier for others to find help quickly

HP Recommended

Sure there is.  It's called the Real Time Clock (RTC) battery.  See page 73 of the 6930p service manual.

http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c02514991/c02514991.pdf

Paul

HP Recommended

Laptop bios passwords are Not stored in the cmos, they are stored on a special chip on the motherboard, so resetting the cmos will not help, you can contact HP about the issue, they may have a master password for your system.

HP Recommended

FYI, I contacted HP support and they pointed me to the following site:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&objectID=c01798858&jumpi...

I was able to reset the password on an EliteBook 6930p using the method supplied.

HP Recommended

Thanks for posting the link.

DESCRIPTION:

If the BIOS administrator password is not set, and HP ProtectTools security is enabled in Security Manager, then you may not be able to enter the Computer Setup utility at startup as a BIOS administrator. You will only be allowed to enter the setup as a ProtectTools user with limited access.

SCOPE:

The specific notebook PCs affected by this issue are listed in the Hardware Platforms Affected section at the bottom of this advisory.

RESOLUTION:

To resolve this issue, create a BIOS administrator password and delete previous ProtectTools user logs by following this procedure:

1. Download and install the latest SSM utility (HP System Software ManagerVERSION: 2.10 Rev.A SP42536

2. Navigate to c:\Program Files\Hewlett Packard\SSM .

3. Access biosconfigutility.exe to reset the BIOS administrator password.

a. From a command prompt, navigate to the SSM folder. 
    b. Type biosconfigutility.exe to start the utility. A list of commands displays. 
    c. Type /newsetuppassword:"password" to create a new BIOS administrator password. 
    d. Close the command window.

4. Restart the notebook PC and press F10 at startup.

5. Log in using the new BIOS administrator password.

6. Choose User Management and delete any previous ProtectTools users.

7. Save the new settings and exit startup.

Hardware Platforms Affected: HP ProBook 4415s Notebook PC, HP EliteBook 6930p Notebook PC, HP Compaq 6830s Notebook PC, HP Compaq 6730s Notebook PC, HP EliteBook 2530p Notebook PC, HP Compaq 6531s Notebook PC, HP Compaq 6735s Notebook PC, HP ProBook 4515s Notebook PC, HP Compaq 6535b Notebook PC, HP EliteBook 8530p Notebook PC, HP ProBook 4411s Notebook PC, HP ProBook 4416s Notebook PC, HP ProBook 4410s Notebook PC, HP EliteBook 8730w Mobile Workstation, HP Compaq 6730b Notebook PC, HP EliteBook 2730p Notebook PC, HP Compaq 2230s Notebook PC, HP Compaq 6735b Notebook PC, HP Compaq 6530s Notebook PC, HP EliteBook 8530w Mobile Workstation, HP Compaq 6535s Notebook PC, HP ProBook 4510s Notebook PC, HP Compaq 6530b Notebook PC

Operating Systems Affected: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition(Standard HP Product), Microsoft Windows Vista Enterprise (32-bit)(Standard HP Product), Microsoft Windows Vista Business (32-bit)(Standard HP Product), Microsoft Windows Vista Business (64-bit)(Standard HP Product), Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate (64-bit)(Standard HP Product), Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium (64-bit)(Standard HP Product), Microsoft Windows Vista Home Basic (64-bit)(Standard HP Product), Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate (32-bit)(Standard HP Product), Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium (32-bit)(Standard HP Product), Microsoft Windows Vista Enterprise (64-bit)(Standard HP Product), Microsoft Windows XP Tablet PC Edition(Standard HP Product), Microsoft Windows XP Professional Edition(Standard HP Product), Microsoft Windows Vista Home Basic (32-bit)(Standard HP Product)

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.