Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Whenever i have a bootable USB pen plugged at boot the screen freezes on the black screen with

"press ESC to pause startup",

regardless of the boot order i choose. the bootable usb was pre tested on other hp pavilion dv6 working as expected.

i had this issue with windows 7 64 bits and have it with windows 8.1

i have updated the BIOS to lattest version (F26).  Tried several guides for the boot menu options and nothing works.

Help is greatly apreciated

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hello @fitacola,

I have read your post on how your notebook freezes on a black screen with an error message when you attempt to boot from a USB pen, and I would be happy to assist you in this matter!

To successfully boot from a removable thumb drive, I recommend following this document on Restoring the BIOS. This should help to return the BIOS back to factory settings.

Please re-post with the results of your troubleshooting, and I look forward to your reply!

Regards Smiley Happy

MechPilot
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

hey @MechPilot

I followed the steps for restoring the BIOS. I press the button combination and it gets stuck at a (completely) black screen, having to long pres the power button to shut down.

I got the button timing right, waited several minutes with the black screen on, and repeated the process 4 times.

whats the next step?

HP Recommended

Hello again fitacola,

Since the notebook gets stuck at a completely black screen, I recommend following this document on Updating the BIOS. This should help to enable booting from you USB drive.

If the issue continues, please call our technical support at 1-800-474-6836. If you live outside the US/Canada Region please click the link below to get the support number for your region.

http://www.hp.com/cgi-bin/hpsupport/index.pl

I hope this helps!

Regards Smiley Happy  

MechPilot
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

HP Recommended

i had already done it

i had windows 7 64bits installed (with BIOS version F25)  and i had this bootable USB freeze problem.

i intaled windows 8.1 64bits (without formating the drive) the problem persists.

i saw a newer BIOS version F26 the windows 8 operating system spread and updated it.

problem persists

HP Recommended

Hi again fitacola,

Since the BIOS update was unsuccessful on your system, I recommend contacting our technical support at 1-800-474-6836. If you live outside the US/Canada Region please click the link below to get the support number for your region.

http://www.hp.com/cgi-bin/hpsupport/index.pl

I hope this helps!

Regards

MechPilot
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Unfortunately it doesnt help me that much.

From day 1 my computer had several issues

-was unable to boot from USB but i managed to "bypass it" by using a bootable cd with a custom program that allows me to boot from USB.

-failed to reconize the RADEON graphic card, leaving me with crappy graphics for gamming. This was repaired after many hours of assistance, many diagnosys, and finally updating the BIOS several times to fix it.

Now the BIOS got worst then just being unable to boot from USB. it just freezes the computer (making it impossible to use my previous solution) and doesnt allow me to recover run the BIOS recovery.

It seems clear that this computer's model BIOS is not working as intended, it never was.

Now, after following your instructions and calling support, im expected to buy extra assistance from HP (since my warranty expired 2 months ago).

Im not going to do it since im sure that any solution that might be provided won´t be a very lasting solution and some other problem will quickly arise.

I have to say that im not happy with this HP product, and this will surely influence my next purchase.

Thanks anyway for the assistance

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.