Question

Honor Student
HPUser5562
Message 1 of 8 (294 Views)

G60 plugged in not charging

Hello,

I have an HP G60 Notebook Model #VM083UA#ABA which runs on Windows 7 Home Premium.

I've been having trouble lately with the typical plugged in not charging problem, however the more time that goes by the lower my battery charge is getting. It's run down from a 55 percent charge to a 42 percent charge.

Here's the thing: this is a brand new battery, and the HP Support Assistant checked the battery and said the status was "Good". I bought a new charger as well. This was a problem before I even bought the new battery, however I did buy the replacement battery from an outside non-HP source.

I have tried every method; the power drain, uninstalling the battery compliant drive, restarting without the battery, etc. I have tried to install the new BIOS and that didn't work.

I am very frustrated because I would just buy a new computer seeing how old and beat up this one is but I don't have the money yet. Should I buy a new battery from the HP store specifically? I'm staring to believe this might be a hardware problem with my computer itself.

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions. Thank you.

Provost
erico
Message 2 of 8 (289 Views)

Re: G60 plugged in not charging

[ Edited ]

Is the charge LED lit?

If not, try wiggling the power connector at the place where it is plugged in gently. When wiggled does the led briefly light up?

If the charge led was already lit, try the following:

In the search programs and files box type in device manager and press the enter key.

Find the Batteries icon and click on the triangle to the left to expand it.

ACPI.PNG

Left click on the  Microsoft ACPI-Control method and the right click on it and select uninstall.

Do exactly the same thing for the Microsoft AC Adapter device.

Right-click on any device in device manager and select scan for hardware changes.

Windows 7 will then install fresh copies of the devices you just uninstalled.

Restart your notebook.

Please post your results here.

Help others by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for Microsoft or HP****

2014 Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Honor Student
HPUser5562
Message 3 of 8 (280 Views)

The light was already on, the computer is supposed to be charging. I followed the instructions for the second piece of advice and that did not work either.

Provost
CherylG
Message 4 of 8 (274 Views)

[ Edited ]

Try the process posted by Erico above once more_but this time do not Scan for hardware after. Instead shutdown, remove power cord & battery.Hold the power button down for 30 seconds. Next reinstall battery and power cord and start the laptop. Fingers crossed.

******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button is a way to give Kudo's -Thanks!.******
**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
Honor Student
HPUser5562
Message 5 of 8 (264 Views)

Tried, didn't work.

Provost
erico
Message 6 of 8 (261 Views)

[ Edited ]

Did the charger you bought have the same power capacity as the original power adapter?

Your notebook's AC power adapter has to provide 18.5 vdc and have 65 Watts power capacity. 

Help others by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having

Honor Student
HPUser5562
Message 7 of 8 (241 Views)

Yes, it does.

Provost
erico
Message 8 of 8 (234 Views)

Contact HP for warranty service.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation