Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I agree with Rakhmad, Win 7 shouldn't make that much difference from Vista. I would run Vista for awhile  to test for hardware problems...which I would guess is what the HP Tech also had in mind.

The Windows Experience Index seems pretty average for onboard graphics, it is close to my own laptop scores and I have zero problems running Win 7 upgrade.

If you would like more members to contribute to your problems with upgrade of Windows 7, I suggest that you consider  starting a new thread with your Laptop and problem as the main topic since this Guide is primarily to help owners find proper drivers for models not supported by HP and not all members will even enter it to read replies...other than Rakhmad  who is co-author of this Guide.

Just an option,not a requirement.

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

HP Recommended

Yes, I think my DVD write part has an issue that's why the recover disk failed and I don't have very many options in my BIOS for integrated hardware.  The only thing I have in System Configuration is Boot order, Fan selection and disable the network.

Is it possible that my system should have Hardware Virtualization on it?

The problem with running in Vista for a while then upgrading later is that I have to keep reloading all my programs I use for my job as ISP Tech Support and some of them require license keys and I fear that many more times of having to relicense I'm eventually going to have to purchase new licenses.  Then on top of that, the programs I need to reinstall like MS Office 2007 have to be put on the backburner because it's just too much to deal with. 

However, if it takes doing this once to finally get to the root of the problem, so be it. 

What if the Vista using stage proves to be okay, then when I upgrade again, the same issue happens?  Because it was fine in Vista before.  Is there someone in Tech Support who could maybe remote in and assist with finding the hardware issue if there is one, or am I back to researching avenues for assistance again?

In your opinion, is it better to update certain certain features in Vista that work with Win7 from the MS site then upgrade or would the clean install make for a smoother start?

You have enlighten me alot on this issue and my thanks.

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
Version 6.1.7600 Build 7600
System Model HP G60 Notebook PC
System Type x64-based PC
Processor Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU T4400 @ 2.20GHz, 2200 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Hewlett-Packard F.63, 3/8/2010
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.1.7600.16385"
HP Recommended

Excellent suggestion.

System Type x64-based PC
Processor Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU T4400 @ 2.20GHz, 2200 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
HP Recommended

If you do an Upgrade install rather than a clean install of Windows 7 you shouldn't have to reinstall or reactivate any of your programs.

Have you been doing the Upgrade or Clean install? It may be time to try the opposite way to see if less problems.I did the Upgrade install and have had very good results.I only had to uninstall iTunes and HP Quick Launch driver before the upgrade, then reinstalled after.

Btw, the idea of running Vista for awhile to rule out hardware issues is solid. The only way HP will usually acknowledge and fix or replace hardware is if it is proven while running the original OS.

HP Recommended

I do understand the reasoning behind the Troubleshooting in Vista.  I have no problem running it with Vista, at this point I'm willing to try anything to narrow down and find the root of the issue.

I have actually tried both ways, Upgrade twice, then when that failed, began doing clean install.

System Type x64-based PC
HP Recommended

Okay, just thought I would give you all an update.  And, BTW I want to say THANK YOU for all of your help and input during my stressful time.  You all have supplied me with information and steps I had no clue about and if things were all on the right track, it would have made for a smooth transition.  However, while in Vista mode it seems my troubles continued and has boiled down to a hardware issue. 

The system is either having a problem with the motherboard or memory, somehow I think it may be the system board.  In the process of connecting to chat, I chose to view my information sent and it seems there are some information statistics that are not being read correctly, and the same thing happens in my HP system info. & other system information folders.

A shipment is on it's way to me to send to the repair and I cross my fingers and toes that this solves this ongoing issue.

Once again, thanks for your insightful assistance, you've all been great.

System Type x64-based PC
HP Recommended

I have HP Pavilion dv6000 CTO Notebook PC. I want to upgrade my Windows XP to Windows 7. How can I do it?

HP Recommended

Purchase Windows 7 and boot with it. You will have to do a clean install since XP won't upgrade to Win 7,so be sure to backup any files,photos,music,etc before installing. Hopefully you have an external usb hdd?

HP Recommended

HI, when i start the install windows 7 stops the install for the driver " keyboard fitler" which i have never heard of or can find on your driver list, can you help me out? laptop model is compaq presario CQ60-427nr. i am wanting to upgrade, which advisor says i can do.

HP Recommended

@gwichin1

Uninstall HP Quick Launch ,install Win 7 then install latest Quick Launch from your model's driver page.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.