Question

Top Student
Boricua1119
Message 1 of 3 (667 Views)
Accepted Solution

HD space disappearing since Vista SP2 Upgrade.

Hi, I have Windows Vista Home Premium 64 bit on my Hp Pavillion DV7-1130us laptop and  I originally upgraded to Widows Vista Service Pack 2 on Friday September 11th. At first i was really happy because before the upgrade I only had 109 GBS left and the upgrade brought me back up to 134GBS. Sadly though after about 3 days I noticed without me downloading anthing major other than 2 episodes of a show at 100MBS each Hard disk space was mysteriously disappearing. It went down from 134 all the way to 120 with no logical explaination as to why.

So On Monday I restored the computer and reinstalled the Service pack it brought me back up to 134 yet again this time I  didn't download a single thing and by Friday night it was the same problem. After changing the amount of space set aside for shadow copying.restoring from 33 Gigs max to 10 it gave me none of the space back either. Yesterday i restored and reinstalled the pack yet again and from yesterday to today it has gone back down to 129 GIGS without logical reason. So why did the service pack give me back HD space only to have it disappear without being able to use it? If anyone can give me insight into how I can stop this from happening and get the space back I would greatly appreciate it I did not have this problem before the upgrade.

Top Student
Bharathurs
Message 2 of 3 (643 Views)

Re: HD space disappearing since Vista SP2 Upgrade.

I believe your disk space is eaten up by the system restore [Shadow copies].

You can delete all types of temporary shadow copies by using the Disk Cleanup tool.
Start/All Programs/Accessories/Disk Cleanup> more options and then click on clean for the shadow copies.

-Urs

Top Student
Boricua1119
Message 3 of 3 (622 Views)

Re: HD space disappearing since Vista SP2 Upgrade.

Actually that wasn't it either I had tried that. What I ultimately ended up doing was having to restore to factory settings because even after changing the max size of shadow storage I didn't get any space back and  I didn't have any viruses or anything either. So now my computer is okay and I still also changed the max amount for shadow storage from 33 GBS to 15GB thank you for your suggestion though
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation