Question

Student
CPITStaff
Message 1 of 3 (4,599 Views)

HDD Error : Compaq Mini 110 XP Install

This subject seems to be on the fourm a lot however none of the answers on here seem to work...

I have a Compaq Mini 110 which suffered from HD failure. Complete loss even with a software restore program so at the moment it has a brand new identical like for like replacement.

I have tried installing Windows XP, Windows Vista and Windows 7 all retail versions, all from flashdrive conversions on a USB Stick and each time I get a nice error telling me that there is no HDD (Raid/SCSI) Driver and I should load one onto the system.

Let me add a point here I am a MCP in Windows XP so I have a great understanding of hat I am trying to do, I just don't seem to be able to do it!

Things I have done:

1) Tried a simple straight from bootable USB installation of Windows XP Home with no slipstreamed driver

2) Slipstreamed the drivers from the HP Forum (Intel Chipset 945GSE 82801GBM/GHM) and updated the install with SP3 standalone installer.

3) Slipstreamed an Intel driver from the Intel support forum however this was a different revision and still failed.

4) Booted into Vindows Vista setup, entered CMD and updated Bios (Fine)

5) Booted into Windows Vista CMD and installed a random selection of drivers, rerun setup from the prompt and still no joy.

6) Testing the HDD in anoher Asus EEE PC whichalso boots and requires SATA/RAID drivers on install and it worked fine.

7) Switched the HDD from another laptop running Windows 7 32Bit (I understand the different architecture would cause problems). Got as far as the splash before a BSoD stoped and restarted.

8) F5 boot into XP to choose PC type

9) F6 loaded drivers into XP with  multiple driver discs.

I am out of ideas people and I could realy do with some help on this one.

Laptop details are as presant:

Compaq Mini 110

P/N VT274EA#ABU

Board 308f

Running latest release BIOS

Standard spec (No upgrades)

BIOS Checks pass 100%

0x8086 (Intel) 0x27C5 (AHCI Controller)

Don't know what else I can put but if someone can email the contents of their intel folder for this laptop of even point to the fight F6 installation disk it would be great.

I was also under the impresstion that Intel drivers were shipped as standard with Win Vista/7 so I was also concidering that the board may be fried?

Christopher Stansbury

Associate Dean
Mumbodog
Message 2 of 3 (4,571 Views)

Re: HDD Error : Compaq Mini 110 XP Install

Try driver packs to slipstream "Mass storage" drivers into the XP install CD.
Driver packs tutorial, read carefully.
Download software "Driverpacks Base"
You can install other driver packs besides the "Mass Storage", but this will bloat the size of the XP install to DVD size, The only driver packs I suggest to slipstream are
Mass Storage, Chipset, Lan, CPU
This will keep it a size to fit on a CD. If you want all the drivers slipstreamed it will require a DVD burner to make the DVD and a DVD drive on the target installation PC.
I don't change any of the default settings when using the software, just pick the driver packs you want to slipstream and create the ISO image.
If you use other customizing software for other reasons than drivers such as Nlite, use Nlite first then driver packs last or install problems will result. Only use DP to slip drivers, do not use Nlite for this task.
Start with clean unmodified Installation files when using DP for best results.

Provost
Daniel_Potyrala
Message 3 of 3 (4,565 Views)

Re: HDD Error : Compaq Mini 110 XP Install

Hi,

You need to slipstream Intel ICH7M SATA driver. Informations how you should do this and SATA driver you will find in pdf / doc file which is in point B of the link below:

SATA drivers for XP (solution on 0x0000007B BSOD)

Ps.

If you haven't got optical drive then the link below should be more interesting for you:

How to install Windows XP from USB flash drive.

** Say thanks by clicking the "Thumb up" icon which is on the left. **

** Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue. **

Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation