Question

Honor Student
Unbelieveble
Message 1 of 4 (912 Views)

HELP! My product key is gone, i need to reinstall my OS but the product key has been rubbed off :(

HELP! The laptop I have has the product key wrote on a sticker underneath and over time it has rubbed off, I need this key to reinstall it.   Please don't say use the recovery CD as i don't want all the HP junk.

Provost
erico
Message 2 of 4 (869 Views)

Re: HELP! My product key is gone, i need to reinstall my OS but the product key has been rubbed off

[ Edited ]

You have two options if you want to use the license that you paid for.

1) If you are able to access the Recovery Manager with the F11 keystroke just after pressing the power button you can reinstall the OS form there. Newer model notebooks have a minimal install option in Recovery manager that does not install all of the HP programs.

2) Use the Recovery disc set that you made.

Of course there are also other options:

You can purchase a Microsoft Windows installation DVD and struggle with finding all of the drivers.

You can install a distribution of Linux which will also require some searching to find drivers.

Please identify your notebook/pc .

Look at the base/rear/side of the notebook/pc at the barcoded sticker.

Post item number 2 as seen on the following example of an HP notebook's barcoded sticker. The barcode on your HP product may be slightly different in appearance, but will still have the important information needed for us to help you.  

###Do not post the serial number as it is personal information.###
c01931836.gif
Post the installed operating system  ( and whether it is 32 or 64-bit ) and state whether the CPU is an AMD or Intel product

Not posting all of the information as requested will delay our responses and slow troubleshooting of the issue that led you to author a thread.

Is your notebook/PC still within its warranty period?

Best regards,

erico

Help others by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for Microsoft or HP****

2014 Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Student
Benjamin_mark
Message 3 of 4 (824 Views)

How to figure out my OS

Hi..I formatted my hp notebook..But I forgot to make a note of my OS..I had a windows vista OS but not sure whether it was home basic or premium etc..But I have my product key of my OS and model number of my laptop..Is it possible for you to find the OS of my laptop???

Provost
CherylG
Message 4 of 4 (823 Views)

Re: How to figure out my OS

The sticker with the license key should state which version it is for. If you can't read it, post your 'full' model number or P/N from the Service Tag attached to bottom and someone can look up the Specs at HP site.

******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button is a way to give Kudo's -Thanks!.******
**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation