Question

Top Student
Sunday83
Message 1 of 8 (7,735 Views)

HP 620 - Windows 8 - IDT High Definition Audio Codec

[ Edited ]

Hello.  Im the owner of a HP 620, and i recently installed Windows 8 Pro (x64). It detects the sound card and installs it, the device has no conflicts but it has no sound. I checked out this post:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-Systems-e-g/no-sound-after-installing-windows-8-on-m...

And i used the drivers recommended by the HP team however it still does not work. I reinstalled Windows 8 Pro and I tried to install those drivers provided again, but still they do not work for my HP 620.

I also tried to download any other version from Microsoft Update Catalog, but none of them work. In Windows 7 the sound works perfectly.

Any solution to this problem?

PS. My hardware is an IDT 92HD88B3

Distinguished Professor
Kyle_W
Message 2 of 8 (7,664 Views)

Re: HP 620 - Windows 8 - IDT High Definition Audio Codec

Try uninstalling the driver first and then re-installing them.

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature
Top Student
Sunday83
Message 3 of 8 (7,661 Views)

I've done that several time already. I work as a computer technician in a computer shop and experience tells me that there is an incompatibility with the drivers and my hardware. Even if windows say it is properly installed sound wont play.
Distinguished Professor
Kyle_W
Message 4 of 8 (7,661 Views)

HP 620 - Windows 8 - IDT High Definition Audio Codec

That was what I was going to tell you next, I just wanted to see if that might help, as I've seen it work before with certain notebooks. As of now, it does not look like their is a driver available for Windows 8 and your specific hardware. The driver that you linked is just a generic driver that some people have had some success with.
-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature
Top Student
Sunday83
Message 5 of 8 (7,659 Views)

Yeah i totally agree. Even if it is the same laptop, HP 620, depending on the version, the integrated sound card are different versions of IDT hardware, and it seems that mine is specifically not 100% compatible with windows 8. I found several people with the hardware i have on internet, and they have exactly the same problem.

However, a couple of them said they used the consumer preview and there the audio worked perfectly, and it is in this last build where they are not getting any sound. I wonder if Microsoft changed something important enough to spoil the HP IDT driver... xD

Top Student
Keilbach01
Message 6 of 8 (7,442 Views)

Hello,

I had the same issue with a Win8 64bit download. The solution was to switch to Win8 32bit. All sound works fine with 32bit. How to get it? You need to install a Win7 32bit version on your Notebook (just download one from the net), because the Win8 installer discover the version you had before and then installs the same bit version. After I had installed the 32bit Win7 version I could use the link from my Win8 invoice and the installed set-up Win8 32bit automatically. Now everything works fine, just the disadvantage of the 32bit systems...

Student
jimbom97
Message 7 of 8 (2,811 Views)

I have also a HP 620 with the same problem with Windows 8.1 64 bit. I noticed though, that if I run the computer with only 2 GB RAM, the sound works fine. Very strange... With 4 GB it works fine in Windows 7 and Ubuntu, so there must be some kind of driver conflict in Windows 8. I think I'm just gonna go back to Windows 7.

Student
khalilAA11
Message 8 of 8 (581 Views)

aaa boioooo

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation