HP 6715b - XP or Vista, which runs better? (545 Views)
Top Student
chato85
Message 1 of 8 (545 Views)

HP 6715b - XP or Vista, which runs better?

[ Edited ]

Hello there!

I have an HP 6715b laptop which came with Vista (no SP) preinstalled. Along with Vista there were a lot of useless programs preinstalled and a few useful ones. It is very slow on fresh Vista install, especially when it comes to file operations like moving and copying. SP1 and SP2 make those considerably faster, yet they are still slower than on XP.

I have an XP SP3 original CD and I consider downgrading to XP with SP3. I have another options - staying with Vista and patching its uxtheme file so that I can use a ported theme based on XP's Luna or upgrade to Win 7 and do the same (I hate Aero! :smileywink:). However, I'm afraid patching system files may hinder system stability, so going back to XP is a better option. Do you agree?

And when it comes to performance, is it me or the HP 6715b model really does run faster on XP than on Vista?

Top Student
chato85
Message 2 of 8 (535 Views)

Re: HP 6715b - XP or Vista, which runs better?

BTW, it's a Compaq 6715b with an AMD Turion 64 X2 processor.

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 3 of 8 (534 Views)

Hi:

Most folks will tell you that XP is faster because Vista needs more resources to run. The solution to that is to add more memory if you can.

I prefer W7 over both of them, because it uses less resources than Vista, and has support for things that XP doesn't.  To me Windows 7 is "Vista that works."

Before you install XP, try some tweaks from this link.

I used many of them, and they made Vista work much better afterward.

http://www.winvistaclub.com/t1.html

Paul

Top Student
chato85
Message 4 of 8 (525 Views)

Thanks for your reply, but I find most features in Vista & 7 useless. All of the programs that I use support XP and I just can't get used to Vista and 7's interface, no matter how I try. I got used to XP's interface a lot faster. I have this laptop since 2008 and every time it's the same -- no matter how long I use Vista, I eventually go back to XP.

With XP I have the flexibility to put the OS on drive C: and create an empty drive D: for my files, while Vista makes only one partition (not counting the recovery partition) -- C:

Top Student
chato85
Message 5 of 8 (289 Views)

Update: I am back to Vista, but it is a memory hog. Yet, I don't want to go back to XP as it is too old.

I have bought a Windows 7 CD, but I haven't yet installed it. Will Windows 7 run better on 6715b (2 GB Ram, AMD Turion 64 X2) and should I chose the 32-bit or the 64-bit install?

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 6 of 8 (282 Views)

Hi:

If you don't plan on maxing out the memory to 2 x 2 GB, then definitely install the 32 bit version of W7.

64 bit OS's require more disk space and memory to run than a 32 bit OS does--not double, but more, so you will be better off with the 32 bit OS.

W7 should pep up your PC somewhat.

I would really bump up the memory to get the best you can out of your notebook.  2 GB nowadays is insufficient.

Top Student
chato85
Message 7 of 8 (281 Views)

Wow, you were fast! Thank you about your reply!

OK, so I will upgrade to Win 7 32-bit.

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 8 of 8 (277 Views)

You're very welcome.

Please post back and let us know how you like W7.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation