Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

On this new dv7-3080, the HP Advisor or HP dock (not sure of the correct name for it) launches at startup and places a rectangular window at the top of my screen with icons and links to HP Advisor, MediaSmart, Discover Your PC, Customize Dock.

How do I disable this dock from loading on my desktop at startup?   Each of these utilities can be launched from the Programs menu and I don't need the "dock" on my desktop.

Thank you!

25 REPLIES 25
HP Recommended

You need to turn it off in the background.

Go to Control panel/administrative tools/system configuration/startup and untick both HP Advisor and HP Mediasmart

Apply and restart

Thanks.

HP Recommended
I have the same problem. I did what you suggested and it worked. BUT, when I switch users it still starts for the other user. I checked All Programs: Startup and it is empty. Where the heck is this thing starting from???
HP Recommended

Same problem, running Windows 7

HP Recommended

If you want to remove it in ALL users then go to add or remove programs and uninstall HP Advisor.

HP Recommended

Or_from Advisor open the dashboard and unselect the option of Starting with Windows.

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

HP Recommended

I am having the same problem in Windows 7 x64.

As an administrator, I am able to go into PC Dashboard Settings and uncheck "Launch Advisor PC Dock at every boot". However, when a second (Standard) user unchecks the box, it doesn't remain unchecked.

Is there some other solution? Edit the registry ?

HP Recommended

I don't have Advisor installed now (uninstalled it) so I'm not sure where the Registry setting will be to stop Adivsor from running.

Check under HKEY_Current_User\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run and also HKEY_Local_Machine\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run.

If you see Advisor there,delete the key. It can still be started manually using the shortcut if desired.

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

HP Recommended

When I tried to delete

HPADVISOR    REG_SZ     C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\HP Advisor\HPAdvisor.exe autorun=AUTORUN

from

HKEY_Current_User\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

while logged in as the other (Standard) user, I received this error message:

"Error Deleting Values"

"Unable to delete all specified values"

I tried changing the user's account type to administrator, and was still unable to uncheck the box or delete the registry entry.

I uninstalled HP Advisor and the HPADVISOR entry is still there in HKEY_Current_User\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run. So, if I reinstall it I will have the same problem.

Any other ideas?

HP Recommended

Had Same issue. I recommend you do not edit your registry.

Go to programs>accessories> command prompt. Open the command prompt and type in msconfig. A gui menu will come up, go to the startup tab. There you will see a list of all the crap windows is loading at start up. Uncheck the HP Adviser one. You can get rid of a lot of useless junk here- but be careful you don't delete something that's really needed- you want your virus software, windows stuff, etc. Then do a restart and make sure it works. Worked OK for me. I was running Vista, then with the 7 upgrade, the HP disk installed all these other programs. You can still open the adviser- it just won't open at starup. Personally- I haven't seen the need for the thing. It also installed some finger print ID software that started up all the time- and I don;t even have that hardware, so I had to get rid of that also. Hope this helps.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.