HP Advisor / HP Dock launch at startup...How to Disable? (268346 Views)
Honor Student
TSOW
Message 1 of 26 (268,346 Views)

HP Advisor / HP Dock launch at startup...How to Disable?

On this new dv7-3080, the HP Advisor or HP dock (not sure of the correct name for it) launches at startup and places a rectangular window at the top of my screen with icons and links to HP Advisor, MediaSmart, Discover Your PC, Customize Dock.

How do I disable this dock from loading on my desktop at startup?   Each of these utilities can be launched from the Programs menu and I don't need the "dock" on my desktop.

Thank you!

Tutor
tonytleeds
Message 2 of 26 (268,092 Views)

Re: HP Advisor / HP Dock launch at startup...How to Disable?

You need to turn it off in the background.

Go to Control panel/administrative tools/system configuration/startup and untick both HP Advisor and HP Mediasmart

Apply and restart

Thanks.

Tutor
GaryDZ
Message 3 of 26 (267,244 Views)

I have the same problem. I did what you suggested and it worked. BUT, when I switch users it still starts for the other user. I checked All Programs: Startup and it is empty. Where the heck is this thing starting from???
Student
actonma
Message 4 of 26 (266,926 Views)

Same problem, running Windows 7

Honor Student
Eatensniperguy
Message 5 of 26 (263,497 Views)

If you want to remove it in ALL users then go to add or remove programs and uninstall HP Advisor.

Provost
CherylG
Message 6 of 26 (263,477 Views)

Or_from Advisor open the dashboard and unselect the option of Starting with Windows.

******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button on the left is a way to say Thanks!.******
**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
Top Student
lkugle
Message 7 of 26 (260,721 Views)

I am having the same problem in Windows 7 x64.

As an administrator, I am able to go into PC Dashboard Settings and uncheck "Launch Advisor PC Dock at every boot". However, when a second (Standard) user unchecks the box, it doesn't remain unchecked.

Is there some other solution? Edit the registry ?

Provost
CherylG
Message 8 of 26 (260,665 Views)

I don't have Advisor installed now (uninstalled it) so I'm not sure where the Registry setting will be to stop Adivsor from running.

Check under HKEY_Current_User\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run and also HKEY_Local_Machine\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run.

If you see Advisor there,delete the key. It can still be started manually using the shortcut if desired.

******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button on the left is a way to say Thanks!.******
**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
Top Student
lkugle
Message 9 of 26 (260,605 Views)

[ Edited ]

When I tried to delete

HPADVISOR    REG_SZ     C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\HP Advisor\HPAdvisor.exe autorun=AUTORUN

from

HKEY_Current_User\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

while logged in as the other (Standard) user, I received this error message:

"Error Deleting Values"

"Unable to delete all specified values"

I tried changing the user's account type to administrator, and was still unable to uncheck the box or delete the registry entry.

I uninstalled HP Advisor and the HPADVISOR entry is still there in HKEY_Current_User\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run. So, if I reinstall it I will have the same problem.

Any other ideas?

Top Student
digison
Message 10 of 26 (248,466 Views)

Had Same issue. I recommend you do not edit your registry.

Go to programs>accessories> command prompt. Open the command prompt and type in msconfig. A gui menu will come up, go to the startup tab. There you will see a list of all the crap windows is loading at start up. Uncheck the HP Adviser one. You can get rid of a lot of useless junk here- but be careful you don't delete something that's really needed- you want your virus software, windows stuff, etc. Then do a restart and make sure it works. Worked OK for me. I was running Vista, then with the 7 upgrade, the HP disk installed all these other programs. You can still open the adviser- it just won't open at starup. Personally- I haven't seen the need for the thing. It also installed some finger print ID software that started up all the time- and I don;t even have that hardware, so I had to get rid of that also. Hope this helps.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation