Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

I have Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit installed on my HP Pavilion dv6500. Every time I try to open Hp Total Care Advisor a box pops up saying that Hp Advisor has stopped working. If I try to open any of the programs in HP Advisor, such as pc update or battery check, another box pops up that says an error has occured. The box says "Object reference not set to an instance of an object." Is there a solution for this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Try to register Adodb.dll, by follow these steps:

1. Click Start and then click Run.
  2. In the Run dialog box, type the following command, and then click OK
    C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.0.3705\gacutil /i C:\Program Files\Microsoft.NET\Primary Interop Assemblies\adodb.dll

It is does not work, tDownload, uninstall and reinstall HP Advisor for here... ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software11/COL34630/pv-85800-1/sp46210.exe

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with 'Accept as Solution', if it solves your problem.
Click on the BLUE KUDOS button on the left to say "Thanks"

View solution in original post

27 REPLIES 27
HP Recommended

Try to register Adodb.dll, by follow these steps:

1. Click Start and then click Run.
  2. In the Run dialog box, type the following command, and then click OK
    C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.0.3705\gacutil /i C:\Program Files\Microsoft.NET\Primary Interop Assemblies\adodb.dll

It is does not work, tDownload, uninstall and reinstall HP Advisor for here... ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software11/COL34630/pv-85800-1/sp46210.exe

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with 'Accept as Solution', if it solves your problem.
HP Recommended

thanks i solved the problem i follow the instruction of cyclops thanks sir..

HP Recommended

You are always welcome! :generic:

johntala, one other thing could you kindly let me know which of the 2 solution was used to resolve the issue....

HP Recommended

I have this topic open as well and an HP employee is checking to see if version 1.1 can be downloaded as a stand-alone item.  In the meantime, I looked up the SP you suggested and went ahead and downloaded the 3.3 version (figuring at worst I could un-install and not have advisor at all).  Although HP said there may be some compatibility issues, so far it has worked perfectly.  I did double check and needed 2 new windows updates afterwords.  I tried your first solution initially, but windows could not locate the utility file, even when I corrected the path to where it actually resides on my computer.  I used your SP download solution on a Pavilion Notebook dv9000 running Vista Home Premium SP2 (32 bit).

HP Recommended

so, did it fix your issue?

HP Recommended

Help..I too have the same problem. I went to START but can not find the RUN option.  Please let me know where to locate it. Thank you

HP Recommended

Windows Key + R will give you Run Window....

HP Recommended

Hi Cyclops

I tried both solutions regarding my HP Total Care Advisor (HPTCA) not working and neither one of them worked unfortunately.  I think I am in way over my head.  I initially wanted to see if the Advisor could tell me why my icons are not working which they still are not, but then the Advisor would say not working...so now I am involved in this.  So I tried both options you gave the person that indicated it was resolved.  After the 2nd solution I clicked on the HPTCA and I got an error message If (OSLangDec=="1028" || OSLangDec=="2052" || OSLangDec=="3076" || OSLangDec=="1046" || OSLangDec=="2070") Then.  I don't know what that means and I appreciate any help. 

HP Recommended

@ compumoron  (that's funny)

I don't want to get involved with your Advisor problem, but I may be able to help you with your "Icon" problem.

Could you please post a screen shot of what your Icon's look like.

Is this the sort of thing you are seeing ?

Icon.PNG

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.