Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

HP dv4-2165dx running Windows 7 64-bit with Support Assistant 5.2.9.2 and Battery check 4.0.16.0

Battery condition shows "unknown", with 100% battery charge.  Battery appears to be working fine, but no the battery check does not seem to be able to connect to it.

When running battery check, it returns

The long description is:

Primary Battery

An error was encountered trying to access the battery.  Please re-insert the battery and AC adapter to retest the battery.

The suggestion is to power down, re-seat the battery and AC power, which I have done several times.  I also followed the procedures mentioned in another post about a battery check status unknown (94) ... but no change.

How do I correct this condition such that I can get a valid Battery Check status, such as "OK", "Calibrate", "Replace", etc.

Is there an *easy* way to clean the battery contacts?

Note:  The HP diagnostics that you can run before Windows (hit escape when booting) indicate that the battery is "faulty", perhaps because the diagnostic can also not access the battery's intelligent chip.

There are no other postings mentioning advanced status code (90) from battery check ... just code (94) elsewhere.

Thanks for your help.

db808

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Found the solution!

There is a new version of firmware, version F.0F (shows up as "F" in the information displays) that is available in the software download section.  Version F.0F is documented as fixing a problem with Service Advisor 5.x and battery check.

I downloaded the firmware update, installed it, and then re-ran battery check.  Now I have a proper status, with detailed battery status displayed.  In my case, the battery is about 2 years old, and needs to be calibrated.  But, I now have a legitimate status, and can go through the calibration process.

Note:  I'm running Service Advisior 5.2.9.2 and says that there are no additional software updates that apply ....but Service Advisior misses the Firmware update, and will not download and install it.

According to the Firmware release notice, this firmware version applies to several models of notebooks.

After I calibrate my battery, I will try running both battery check, and the boot-time diagnostics.  The boot time diagnostics also flagged the battery as being faulty in the past ... with the older firmware.

I will post my results when completed.

Hope this helps someone. 

db808

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Found the solution!

There is a new version of firmware, version F.0F (shows up as "F" in the information displays) that is available in the software download section.  Version F.0F is documented as fixing a problem with Service Advisor 5.x and battery check.

I downloaded the firmware update, installed it, and then re-ran battery check.  Now I have a proper status, with detailed battery status displayed.  In my case, the battery is about 2 years old, and needs to be calibrated.  But, I now have a legitimate status, and can go through the calibration process.

Note:  I'm running Service Advisior 5.2.9.2 and says that there are no additional software updates that apply ....but Service Advisior misses the Firmware update, and will not download and install it.

According to the Firmware release notice, this firmware version applies to several models of notebooks.

After I calibrate my battery, I will try running both battery check, and the boot-time diagnostics.  The boot time diagnostics also flagged the battery as being faulty in the past ... with the older firmware.

I will post my results when completed.

Hope this helps someone. 

db808

HP Recommended

After an HP update (and 3 days after the warrantee expired). co-incidence-It seems funny it was holding 100% one day and wouldn't go over 66% the next day. (that is after calibrating it) My battery quit holding a charge. I bought another battery, still not holding a charge. I have removed the battery from the device manager, I have removed the battery from the back while it was still on. I have reinstalled the battery into the computer. NOW it doesn't recgonize thebattery at all.There is supposedly a firmware service advisor 5x Version F.0F but I am unable to find it. HATE to go buy another computer, I like many things about this one. Anyone know of something that will fix it?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.