HP.. But no videos. (156 Views)
Honor Student
SarahLeonard
Message 1 of 5 (156 Views)
Accepted Solution

HP.. But no videos.

I recently purchased a new Windows 8 HP Laptop, and found everything to be fine until going online for sites such as YouTube. When I first attempted to watch a YouTube video, I found that the audio would play; however, the video itself would not and instead only showed a black square. Also, the timer at the bottom of the video would stay at 00:00, but if i clicked along the time bar, the video would move to whatever time that may be.

Having looked online for a few solutions, it seems that downloading Adobe Flash is the most viable option. But is this a good idea? Or does anyone possibly know what's wrong and what I can do to fix this?

Thank you.

S.Leonard

Provost
DavidPK
Message 2 of 5 (144 Views)

Re: HP.. But no videos.

Hi Sarah,

You will need flash for many online video sites, however to avoid any potential problem, try a clean installation of the flash plug-in as follows.

First, download the Flash uninstall utility on the link below and save it to your Downloads folder.

Flash Player Uninstaller.

When the download has completed, close all browser windows, open your Download folder and run the uninstaller.  After this has completed, restart the notebook.

When windows has reloaded, download and install the latest version of Adobe Flash.  Note: If you're using a browser other than Internet Explorer, you may want to deselect the option to include McAfee Security Scan Plus before downloading.

Close all browser windows before running the Flash installer.

When the installation has completed, check if videos etc now play ok.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Honor Student
SarahLeonard
Message 3 of 5 (125 Views)

Hey DP-K,

Thank you so much for your help. I shall definitely try the Adobe Flash route (:

Thank you again,
Sarah.
Provost
DavidPK
Message 4 of 5 (120 Views)

Hi Sarah,

You're welcome and glad it helped :smileyhappy:

All the best,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Student
NancyRitz
Message 5 of 5 (98 Views)

Hello David,

I tried what you suggested for the other person above.  It didn't work for my problem.

For the last few weeks I have not been able to see video on sites such as Reuters and Weather.com.  As far as I know I didn't make any changes, add or deleted software.  Until this afternoon.

I updated Quicktime and Flash, not knowing what those websites required.  That didn't work.  Then I tried what you suggested per above.  Still didn't work.  Howcan I know what a particular website needs to run its videos if it doesn't tell me?

I have an HP desktop with Win 7.  I use both Internet Explorer and Opera browsers.  I found that I need to download FlashPlayer twice so that I have versions for both IE and Opera.  As of now, I have downloaded only what is needed for IE.

What can I do to fix the videos?

Thank you.

Nancy

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation