Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

As prompted by HP update to update to HP Client Security Manager 8.3, program was installed. Since then, there are no more passwords in Password Manager. And the Password Manager icon doesn't show any more in internet explorer.

I work mostly with fingerprint ID.

Is there any way to recover the passwords ? Or how can I make that the icon reappears, so I can rebuild the database for the different websites I need to log on ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Problem is solved. Uninstalled HP security Manager 8.3.1.1714 and all related software. Reinstalled the 8.1 version an everything was working OK. Even passwords, fingerprint,... were still present and active. So I keep with the 8.1 version.

Is the 8.3 version compatible with 8.1 ?

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Hi JohanCl,

I understand after an update to HP Client Security Manager 8.3 and there are no more passwords in Password Manager. The easiest thing to do when your computer will not read the fingerprint software is to do a system restore. Here are documents on how to do this.

HP System Recovery Windows 8.

Creating Recovery Discs Windows 8 .

HP System Recovery Windows 7.

Create OS Recovery Discs Windows 7.

Hope this is a help.

Thanks

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom left to say “Thanks” for helping.:smileyhappy:

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

PC is reading finger print (works at windows logon). It's the HP client security manager itself which doesn't "respond" or work. I can rebuild my passwords later, but the software doesn't work. Can I uninstall the 8.3.1.1714 version and download f.e. an earlier, working version ?

HP Recommended

Hi JohanCl,

The software is security software you could try and uninstall it. I suggested a system restore. It would restore the Notebook back to when it was working correctly.

Thanks.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom left to say “Thanks” for helping.:smileyhappy:

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Problem is solved. Uninstalled HP security Manager 8.3.1.1714 and all related software. Reinstalled the 8.1 version an everything was working OK. Even passwords, fingerprint,... were still present and active. So I keep with the 8.1 version.

Is the 8.3 version compatible with 8.1 ?

HP Recommended

Hi JohanCl,

Yes it is. Sometimes when you reinstall the Windows 8.1 it will do an update and everything works fine.

Glad all is well. Don't forget to mark the issue resolved so others can find it.

Have a good week.

Thanks.

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

I have two machines with this problem.

We cannot access flash drives / external hdd's because it fails to launch the application for authentication.

This version is seriously problematic and needs to be reviewed by HP fast.

HP Recommended

Hey Friends!

I too have similar problems: 1) My HP client security manager is stalling on opening it, so I cannot enter it properly (has NEVER worked properly) AND i have similar Device Access Manager problems: I cannot access external devices - since no authentication window shows up. This is a serious problem for my company.

I do not need Device Access Manager so I have tried to uninstall the program from programs list - but it seems to not want to be uninstalled.

Hope to get a solution

Thanks in advance 🙂 -

HP Recommended

Hi Marianne,

I can only advise on the following from my frustrating experience.

Firstly, remove and dump the Device Access Manager, it will inevitably give you errors later. Its been nothing but a problem in my organization.

For everything else, I eventually re-installed notebook (Not particularly necessary) to Windows 8.

I then downloaded all the updated software needed and methodically installed one at a time ensuring to test the launch of each application before the next was installed. Allowing HP to upgrade these apps through the Support Manager broke it all.

On my eventual final replacement notebook, after temp use of another, I did exactly the same after replacement of win7 for win8. Installed one at a time as below.

Most of the app versions were 8.3, I started with Client Security Manager, then followed through with the smaller apps for File Santizer, Finger Print Validity sensor, Drive Encryption. I tried the Device access manager once and it failed again, removed that once again. Finished with HP Support Manager. I installed standard drivers also prior and during where needed.

HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply! Actually I managed to uninstall Device Access Manager very easily from the programs list - and it already solved a great deal. Why  it was possible now and not 4 months ago I really dont know.

I have windows 7 pro and really dont need upgrade of win (for all I know).

The only "nice to have" thing is the fingerprint scanner - but would it be possible to only have that program without the HP Client Security (which is stalling) - or are they just intertwined.

I might try to uninstall HP client security and live happily without the scanner instead...

I will read your answer over once more in the weekend - and think of what to do 🙂

Thanks pal 😉

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.