09-27-2010 01:09 PM
I have just bought a 2nd hand HP Compaq nc6400 Laptop (XP Professional) and it didn't come with Recovery CD's, so I wanted to know if there is a way for me to create these.
I want to create a Recovery CD(s) like the one you normally get when you purchase a compluter from new, that I can use to re-install the Operating System (win XP Prof) in the event of a major issue/error on my Laptop, i.e. put the cd in reboot the Laptop and follow instructions on the screen to restore the Laptop to it's factory settings.
I have searched the HP Support site and found a lot of info but I'm confused which path to follow.
Is this possible and can someone please help/guide me on how to do this?
This question was solved. View Solution.
09-27-2010 01:57 PM
If they have never been made on that PC before this will work for you.
09-29-2010 12:40 PM
I don't know how the HP backup and recovery program works, but I do know you can order a set of restore disks for your nc6400 from HP if you live in the USA. I ordered some in January. Cost me $10.00 for shipping.
1. Write down the part number and serial # on the bottom of the computer on the white tag. The model # is an HP-Compaq nc6400, but the part number will be found on that white tag below the serial #.
2. Call HP at 1-800-952-7689, option 1 (ordering restore disks is part of the list in the option).
3. Provide the info asked by the rep that answers the phone. Some just ask for the serial #, some want both, or they will just want the serial number and type of computer (nc6400).
4. Have a Master Card or Visa ready for purchasing. They don't take Discover. I believe you will be charged $10.00.
You will receive the disks by First Class Mail or you can pay an additional $10.00 for FedEx shipping.
At this time I am running Windows 7 Professional on mine. Works great!
08-21-2011 07:55 AM - edited 08-21-2011 08:01 AM
I have still not managed to create a Recovery CD/s for my Laptop, I have also checked and my Laptop does not have the HP recovery partition. I have taken an image of the harddrive as back up but would obviously like to create a system recovery cd/s.
I don't have the HP PC Recovery CD Creator software on my PC and can't find it to download for my model of Laptop on the HP website.
I also can't find anywhere on the HP website where I can buy this (I'm from the UK, if that makes a difference).
Can anyone assist or point me in the right direction please?
08-21-2011 09:26 AM
Since you are in the UK, you are lucky in that HP gives them to you for free.
Call this number tomorrow morning and have your serial number handy. Tell the customer service rep you need a set of quick restore disks for your nc6400.
0845 161 0030
(except Bank Holidays)
Calls cost 4p per minute from a BT Landline
Costs from other carriers may vary
Calls from mobile may be higher
08-25-2011 04:31 AM
Just a quick update:-
I phoned HP on the number above and explained my situation and they was very helpful and understanding. They took my details and said they would send out the Recovery CDs for free straight away.
The recovery CD's arrived 2 days later
Cheers once again Paul for you help...
- Performing an HP System Recovery (Windows 8)
- Performing an HP system recovery (Windows 7)
- Troubleshooting HP System Recovery Problems (Windows 8)
- Read this before ordering your Recovery Discs! (US and Canada Only)
- Using Recovery Manager to Restore Software and Drivers (Windows 8)
- Using Recovery Manager to Restore Software and Drivers (Windows 7)