HP DV4 won't charge (13250 Views)
Top Student
daveed52
Message 1 of 11 (13,250 Views)

HP DV4 won't charge

My HP DV4 is just over a year old. Warranty expired. I was very happy with it.  Last week I went to use it and the system started up, but halfway through the startup it powered down due to low battery, just a few percent.  I plugged it in to the adapter, checked the connections, reseated the battery, performed a cold hard boot (removed battery, unplugged adapter, held start button down for 30 seconds) and reconnected and tried to restart.  Had just battery to start the fan and boot process, but it died within 20 seconds.  I let it charge overnight, same problem, less battery life, just a second or two. 

I went to the HP support page. There are three lights on the front panel.  It looks one is similar to on/off button, one is a lighting bolt, and the other looks like the hard drive light.  When plugged in with the system off, the middle light (the lightning bolt) is sitting there blinking at me about once per second.  The light where the power adapter plugs in is not lit.   HP says to try to start it on AC with the battery out.  When I do that nothing happens.  HP says that indicates a bad adapter.  I replaced the adapter and no change.  I replaced the battery and it looked like it started to charge.  I started to use it. It got to about a 30% charge and then started discharging even though the adapter was still plugged in. Now same as before the new adapter and new battery. 

Help.

Intern
urfishaikh
Message 2 of 11 (13,225 Views)

Re: HP DV4 won't charge

Hi,

Try reseating the RAM (Memory Modules) and the Hard Drive ..

Best Of Luck...

Geek At wOrK
Top Student
daveed52
Message 3 of 11 (13,211 Views)

Thanks, I reset both memory modules and the hard drive.  No change, the lightning bolt on the front is still blinking at me telling me that it is not charging.   Any other ideas. 

Teacher
Radamad
Message 4 of 11 (13,205 Views)

There's a charging circuit on your motherboard that is dead. Your 'new battery' came with a charge on it, and that's why you were able to boot it before.

A little solder can probably repair your damaged charging circuit. You might take it to a local repair shop and have'em crack the case and check it out. I've seen that a lot when repairing computers.

There's no doubt about what is wrong with your computer, though. Your Charging Circuit has failed. It's a hardware problem. The issue has nothing to do with your battery or your battery slot. I can't remember if the DV4's have a seperate charging circuit connected to the Mobo, or if it's a single unit, but you'll need to get that repaired.

This is a rare occurance on notebooks that are only a year old; this is usually a four-to-five year old notebook problem. Unfortunatley that doesn't help you very much.

Local repair shop should be able to fix you up pretty quick. Take it to a real computer repair store, though, and not Best Buy. They will just replace your Mobo at cost + their fee.

Top Student
daveed52
Message 5 of 11 (13,202 Views)

Thanks, I was afraid that was it. Does anybody know if the DV4's have a seperate charging circuit connected to the Mobo, or if it's a single unit.

Top Student
daveed52
Message 6 of 11 (13,074 Views)

The local shop requested $200 to fix.  Before I told them to go ahead and fix it, I had them test it with a new AC adapter. Surprise, everything worked.  I've now had it back for about 3 days and everything is working fine. 

Sometimes we get lucky.

Honor Student
thecompdoc
Message 7 of 11 (12,035 Views)

I have a system with an almost identical issue (DV4).  It will power on without issue with a charged battery and it will register the power cord is plugged in and charging when turned on.  However, it is not actually charging the unit.  I've tried 4 different power cords and 2 batteries all exhibit the same issue.  It will look like it's charging, but not actually charge or power the unit on from just the cord. 

I've applied the latest bios that is supposed to fix a power supply issue, but no change.

Is this another manufacturing issue like the DV6/9000 graphics issue?

Student
rael01
Message 8 of 11 (11,961 Views)

[ Edited ]

Dude, I have the same issue. Im currently here in Saudi Arabia and I bought it here. My HP dv4 laptop is about 9-month old now when this problem came out. Good thing for you it was fixed immediately mine until now it's in progress for the local shop cant fixed it for they have to take the damaged part from service center which is a way too far in my place. I really feel bad about this for when I brought it store where I bought for it is still under warranty they just kept it with them for a month then after returning back to me they said it is my adapter but when I buy a new one the problem kept going. So I send it to a local shop where I can trust.

Honor Student
sweeeny
Message 9 of 11 (10,170 Views)

Why oh why do you think that would fix his symptoms?

Student
juanshow10
Message 10 of 11 (7,482 Views)

Hi, whats themodel or name of your new charger, cause my dv4 is doing the same thing as your laptop. and iwant to by the same charger that you got.

thank you

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation