Question

Honor Student
antcline
Message 1 of 4 (171 Views)

HP ENVY- Boot Device Not Found

[ Edited ]

I kept on recieving many messages on my screen  from windows telling me I should update to the newest version of Windows 8. I finally give in and when the laptop restarted, it brought me to a page Boot Device Not Found when it was just working perfectly fine! Obviously, this an error brought on by the computer. Probably a corruption during the installation. 

Also, it says something about the Smart Card not being found. 

Any tips/advice on what I should do before I spend 100 dollars that wasn't my fault?

Thanks.

HP Support Agent
Futoji
Message 2 of 4 (133 Views)

Re: HP ENVY- Boot Device Not Found

Hello antcline, welcome to the HP Forums.

I see that you've upgraded the notebook, that since doing so you've encountered a few error message to do with boot device and smart card. I will try to assist you with resolving this issue.

I would like you to start with the following document:
    Resolve Boot Device not Found Error Message.

Please read it over and try everything suggested, including any sub documents it may lead to.

Let me know how this goes and if you have any questions on the steps.
Thank you for posting on the HP Forums.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" at the bottom to say “Thanks” for helping!

Futoji
I work on behalf of HP
Honor Student
antcline
Message 3 of 4 (87 Views)

Unfortunately, none of those steps helped at all! 

When I ran the hard disk check, the results came up with: 

SMART Check: NOT INSTALLED

Long DST: NOT INSTALLED

HP Support Agent
Futoji
Message 4 of 4 (57 Views)

Hi,

Actually those steps did help, not in the way you'd have like as in saying the drive is ok etc.. But, it's telling us that the testing doesn't see the hard drive installed at all. If you reseated it a per step 2, then there may be an issue with the actual hard drive.

As per the rest of step 3, I would recommend you contact support for further assistance.

HP Technical Support, North America 1-800-474-6836. For all other regions click here.

Thanks for the reply.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" at the bottom to say “Thanks” for helping!

Futoji
I work on behalf of HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation