Question

Honor Student
dddcq
Message 1 of 18 (1,912 Views)

HP ENVY DV6 - Windows 8

I have bought a DV6 laptop, installed with Windows 8. I absolutely hate Windows 8. I've purchased a copy of Windows 7 Home Premium. Can I install it over my Windows 8? If not, can I just remove the hard drive and purchase a new 2.5" drive to install Windows 7.

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 2 of 18 (1,906 Views)

Re: HP ENVY DV6 - Windows 8

[ Edited ]

Hi:

If you can swing it, the best option would be to install W7 on a different hard drive and keep your original one in case you want or need to move to W8.

You can also make your set of W8 recovery disks and install W7 on the existing hard drive but there is no absolute guarantee the recovery disks will work.

I would need the full model # of the DV6 you have, so I can source a slightly older model with the same hardware as yours, that also has W7 x64 drivers.

If you look on your PC's support and driver page, there are only drivers for W8 as HP does not support their consumer PC's for any other operating system but the most recent one in effect (currently W8) during the time of the notebook's production.

HP and most other PC mfr's only support their business models for older operating systems.

In order to install W7, you will need to enable legacy mode in the BIOS.

Provost
lasvegaswireman
Message 3 of 18 (1,898 Views)

When requesting assistance, please provide the complete HP model name and/or product number of the computer in question. Without this information it will be difficult or impossible to accurately address your concern.

In general HP doesn't support installing Windows 7 on a Windows 8 computer. HP may not provide Windows 7 drivers for the computer. Windows 7 may not support all of the hardware and/or software installed on your computer.

The installation can be done over Windows 8 or on a new hard drive. Various limitations may apply both scenarios. Make sure to create your personal HP Recovery Discs prior to attempting any modification of the computer or operating system. Please request more information if you feel it is needed for you to continue installing Windows 7.

Please send KUDOs

Frank
{------------ Please click the "White Kudos" Thumbs Up to say THANKS for helping.
Please click the "Accept As Solution" on my post, if my assistance has solved your issue. ------------V

This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I don't work for HP.

HP 15t-j100 (on loan from HP)
HP 13 Split x2 (on loan from HP)
HP Slate8 Pro (on loan from HP)
HP a1632x - Windows 7, 4GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6130y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6320y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP p7-1026 - Windows 7, 6GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6787c - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
Master's Graduate
spacechild
Message 4 of 18 (1,893 Views)

Hello there dddcq!: Yes indeed you can install your version of Win 7 Home Premium on the original HD by 1st making sure that only your keyboard & rodent is attached to your PC then follow what you see on your screen

ultimately just to be sure (in case you're box has problems due to missing drivers) go to the HP support box & type in the model of your computer then look for the software & drivers link & download all the Windows 7 Home Premium drivers that are listed again observe what's on your monitor

after 2hrs. you should be running normally

good luck devolving!

hope this helps & enlightens you

spacechild

Dean
Dragon-Fur
Message 5 of 18 (1,882 Views)

dddcq,

You "ditch" Windows 8 -- some folks have done so.  It is a lot to take in all at once. 

I want to weigh in "on the other side".

I am here to give you the chance to reconsider, if you would like to do so -- and perhaps stay with Windows 8 while you find a way to make friends with it. 

I do not work for HP and I do not work for Microsoft, by the way.   This is an offer of information.  Smiling.

Windows 8 and Finding Reasons to Stay

Windows 8 has a lot of new features, many of which are visible on the "front end" where the Start Screen has taken the place of the Start Menu Button.

There are some immediate things you can do that will make it easier to navigate that Start Screen:

• Anytime you need to find something - a program, an application, or a file, you can go to the Start Screen by dragging your finger (for touch screens) or your mouse to the lower left corner of the screen.  Once the Start Screen is up and running and you can see your "Charms and Tiles" (those big icons), just start typing anywhere on the screen for the "thing" you seek.  This is your new "search and type" method.  You can use whole words, bits of words, whatever you think you need.

• Think about using the Windows key to make things easier to find and tasks easier.  The Windows key by itself brings up the Start Screen, the Windows key in combination with other keys does all sorts of cool stuff:

Windows Keyboard Shortcuts

Windows key + X

• If you like the Start Screen and think you would like to make it even better, then you can customize it to make it enen better!  If you are not sure you like it -- for example, if you like parts of it and hate other parts, you can strip out the parts you dislike and leave other bits in place.  You might remove all the "active" tiles that flash and move and you could then group together anything that is left that makes you happy.

Windows 8 Charms and Tiles

• If you like most of the Charms (those little smart bar icons that come up with you poke your mouse into the corners), then you can use them as designed.  If it makes you nuts that everytime you move the mouse (finger) into the corner of the screen the charms come up and get in the way, then you can disable the feature:

How To Disable the Charms Bar and Switcher Hot Corners in Windows 8

How to Disable Charms Bar Hint in Windows 8

• The Task Manager is much smarter in Windows 8 and has been designed to be easier to understand:

How to Use the New Task Manager in Windows 8

• POP3 Email is a bit weird - not everything works the way in which it has in the past.  Nonetheless, some of it does work and it helps to understand what is available:

How to Access POP3 Email Accounts in Windows 8

•  It is so important to have backups!  So many people wait until it is too late.

HP PCs - Backing Up Your Files (Windows 8)

• The “File History” backup in Windows 8 is a very cool new feature that you can set up easily to save backups of your data to an external disk.  For example, you might have a mini-tower, a pocket drive, or a USB drive attached to your computer that you can use for backups.  You can use a NAS (Network Attached Storage) system, if you have one in your (home) office.

Example of a Network NAS drive Address would include the IP address of your local NAS drive, the master folder available for the backup, and perhaps a local folder dedicated for your own files:

\\192.168.0.1\Data\Dragon-Fur_History

The default File History backup catches the files in your “libraries”, contacts, and favorites settings and runs a new updated backup each hour of anything that has been changed, that is, “modified” since the last time that data was added to the backup.  Nice.  Under “Advanced settings” you can change the time between backups in various increments from ten minutes to once daily.

You can easily add folders to File History by adjusting which folders are in your “libraries” setting. 

NOTE:  If you have a number of folders in “libraries” that you keep there for your convenience and you do not require those folders to be backed up in File History, you can still “Exclude” those folders from the Backup using the “Exclude” feature.

If space on your external disk is at a premium, consider reducing the number of versions you are keeping.  Under Advanced settings, just to the right side, under where you decide how long to keep your backups, Click on “Clean up versions” > remove anything you can live without.

Creating Recovery Discs or Saving a Recovery Image to a USB Flash Drive (Windows 8)

• After everything you know about the Start Screen, do you want to live without it?  Do you want that "Windows 7 feeling"?

6 Start Menu Replacements for Windows 8

• Remember that Windows 8 does boot faster, too - you will be up and running faster with Windows 8 and on your way to whatever you want to do!

• All the new software coming out - from HP and from Microsoft will from now on, be centered on Windows 8 and beyond.  When you are looking for support, most of the applications, the latest printer software, even the ability to connect your computer to the rest of the world is going to be increasingly dependent on an up-to-date, interweaved, and secure environment.  Windows 8 helps to provide that pathway to the future.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Happy Computing!

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

See a Post that is useful - or that teaches you something you did not know?

Your HP Experts are here to help.

Click the Kudos Star!  It is a great “Thank You” for the Author.

Solved?  Click this Post "Accept as Solution" to help others find a Fix.

Year of the Dragon 2012   Year of the Snake 2013

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Kind Regards,
Dragon-Fur
Honor Student
mtscmrose
Message 6 of 18 (1,821 Views)

I have a dv6 7260he and has windows 8. I wish to install w8 pro and ditch the 4 or 5 volumes that where pre-installed with junk. There is nothing saved on here so is it safe to do so and if I want to go back order the media?

Thanks,

Mark

Provost
lasvegaswireman
Message 7 of 18 (1,818 Views)

Mark,

Here are the specs for your HP ENVY dv6-7260he Notebook Computer. The 4 or 5 partitions that where pre-installed are not junk. One is a Windows system partition which contains the boot loader, the is a HP Recovery image, one is a Windows recovery/restore image, one is the Windows OS partition, one is a HP Tools partition (contains system diagnostic software), etc. Create you HP Recovery Disc set before modifying anything on the computer. This will allow you to recovery from any issue that may arise during the installation of a generic OS. If you have a very thorough understanding of partitions, OSes, UEFI, GPT, etc... go ahead and have fun.

Please send KUDOs

Frank
{------------ Please click the "White Kudos" Thumbs Up to say THANKS for helping.
Please click the "Accept As Solution" on my post, if my assistance has solved your issue. ------------V

This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I don't work for HP.

HP 15t-j100 (on loan from HP)
HP 13 Split x2 (on loan from HP)
HP Slate8 Pro (on loan from HP)
HP a1632x - Windows 7, 4GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6130y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6320y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP p7-1026 - Windows 7, 6GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6787c - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 8 of 18 (1,816 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi, Mark:

Unless someone has found out a way to be able to change the W8 "Standard" product key that will automatically populate your W8 Pro installation, then the only way I know of for you to upgrade to W8 Pro is to use the anytime upgrade feature found in W8.

What I have read is when you use a retail W8 Pro upgrade disk or flash media, the W8 standard key in the bios populates the install and it cannot proceed any further as you get an invalid product key error and there is no way to change it.

Honor Student
mtscmrose
Message 9 of 18 (1,812 Views)

Yep. That is what I am running into now. I do have a volume license of pro. Can I turn off the bios setting for this?

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 10 of 18 (1,806 Views)

[ Edited ]

None that I know of.

I know of no one who has been able to install W8 pro unless they use the anytime upgrade.

I suggest you google the issue as no one on this forum that I know of has the answer you are looking for (and I don't believe you will find one).

You may want to contact Microsoft.

I can't believe that you can't change the product key but you can't.

I'm assuming you can use the W8 Pro product key in the anytime upgrade option, but you will still have all the HP bloatware, I assume.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation