02-19-2014 08:37 PM
I just purchased an HP ENVY TouchSmart m7-j020dx notebook. I have downloaded and installed all the availableWindows 8 updates and all the updates that the HP Support Assistant found.
I would now like to update the operating system from Windows 8 to 8.1. The HP Support Assistant lists some things to do before updating to Windows 8.1. The first thing on the list is to use the HP Compatibility Assistant. The Compatibility Assistant gave me the option of entering the product number of my computer or scanning my computer to find the product number. When I entered the product number manually (and I did enter it correctly and double-checked it), the Compatibility Assistant said HP had NOT tested my model of computer for compatibility with Windows 8.1 and could not provide update instructions or Windows 8.1 drivers. It also said I might lose basic functionality and stability if I tried to update my computer.
However, when I had the Compatibility Assistant scan my computer, it came up with the correct product number and said that HP HAD tested my model of computer with Windows 8.1 and had created update instructions (which I downloaded). It went on to say that not all Windows 8.1 features might be available if I updated from Windows 8 and that my computer might require additional hardware, drivers, software, firmware, and/or a BIOS update in order to operate with Windows 8.1.
SO, I have these questions:
1. Has HP actually tested my model of computer for compatibility with Windows 8.1 or not, and if so, what were the results (and why did entering the product number manually produce a different result than having the Compatibility Assistant find it with a scan)?
2. If my model of computer is compatible with Windows 8.1, what features or functionality of 8.1 (if any) is my computer likely to lose if I do the update from Windows 8 to 8.1?
I will very much appreciate any relevant information anyone can provide.
02-21-2014 08:00 AM
Thank you for you query, I am pleased to help.
I understand you would like to upgrade your system, from Windows 8 to 8.1. Here is a document to assist you with that.Updating Windows 8 to 8.1. Here is a link for the updated drivers for your system.HP ENVY TouchSmart m7-j020dx Notebook PC Drivers. Select Windows 8.1 from the drop down menu and the correct drivesrs will be displayed.
04-17-2014 05:31 PM - edited 05-13-2014 10:27 PM
Forget trying to upgrade to windows 8.1.
This models components are not compatable.
Sadly, so few of these were made with windows 8, expecting a fix from HP is unlikely.
Middle of May and still no Bluetooth.
- Performing an HP System Recovery (Windows 8)
- Performing an HP system recovery (Windows 7)
- Troubleshooting HP System Recovery Problems (Windows 8)
- Read this before ordering your Recovery Discs! (US and Canada Only)
- Using Recovery Manager to Restore Software and Drivers (Windows 8)
- Using Recovery Manager to Restore Software and Drivers (Windows 7)