HP ENVY dv6 Windows 8 to windows 7 (14978 Views)
Tutor
Avianadvocate
Message 21 of 31 (2,275 Views)

Re: HP ENVY dv6 Windows 8 to windows 7

Is it ALL USB that do not work or just the USB 3.0 USBs as there is usually one USB2.0 and the rest are USB3.0?

If it is Just the USB 3.0 then it IS driver related .. If it is all including the USB 2.0 then it could be Hardware ...

What Model do you have IE. HP Envy DV6 -7229WM ?

Also in your device manager do you have any Yellow ! (Exclamation points)

Do the rest of the Ports and Drivers work?

IE, test your HDMI, XVGA,LAN, Mic and/ headphone Jacks, DVD/ Blueray drive

you already said your touch pad is working.. does your WLAN still work?

how about your fingerprint reader (If you have one)

.... Just trying to get a feel for your computer

Also if you know how .. how much ram do you have and how much is system reserved (This is one simple way to check for problems with RAM)

Have you done Windows Updates .... You may need to rool back some of those if they cause conflicts .... (But hold of on that one for now)

Are there any other problems ?

Oh one last question ... did you Duel Boot or Clean Install your Windows 7? .... If you duel booted , boot the other OS (Probably win 8) and see if the USBs work . If you clean Installed negate this step.

Tutor
Avianadvocate
Message 22 of 31 (2,270 Views)

junaid907
 Did you get Sorted out ..???

Where you trying to Install Windows 7 again or Windows 8

Anywho just wanted to see if your back setup and happy :smileyhappy:

Have a great day

Honor Student
StarSylph
Message 23 of 31 (2,256 Views)

Hello Avianadvocate!

Thank you so much for your assistance :smileyhappy: I have checked everything you have asked and here are the results.
I have an HP Envy DV6-7229 NR with 6gb of ram, 5.89gb are usable.  I did not dual boot - it's a complete install.

Device Manager Alerts  (4)
 - PCI Device
 - SM Bus Controller
 - Universal Serial Bus (USB) Controller
 - Unknown Device

This list of alerts coincides with a fix-it program I had downloaded from Microsoft when I first noticed trouble with the USB's that the Window's Updates didn't seem to have helped.  The link is here.
http://support.microsoft.com/mats/hardware_device_problems
The program asks if I want to fix these 4 alerts/errors and I click yes...  later it prompts to restart the computer... but if I re-run the fix-it program the 4 errors still say they need help.  So that is not working.  I just wanted to mention it.

To continue :smileyhappy:
These ALL work:  HDMI, headphones, camera, microphone, DVD player, Wireless Internet, Graphics Card

These DON'T work:  The USB's.  Like I mentioned, when say a mouse is plugged in, it will light up - just not function.

I can't wait to hear what you suggest!
:smileyvery-happy:

Tutor
Avianadvocate
Message 24 of 31 (2,253 Views)

StarSylph

First of the NR/ Envy dv6-7229nr Is a Icore (Intel) and not a AMD

So the Chip set will NOT BE AMD

Your Graphics card will be either the Intel High Def / the Nvidia High Def

So to fix your issues you should start by going to the HP sight and try DL the Win8 Graphics and Chipset for your 7229NR

If you have a Nvidia inside It should have a sticker on the computer denoting such

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ob-110786-1&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en...

... otherwise it's probably the Intel HD

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ob-115585-1&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en...

Then you will need to Dl the Chip Set drivers

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ob-109954-1&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en...

Also check out the other two chipset dls and decied if you might need them

Next Go to your Device Manager and Uninstall your USB 3.0 and Graphics Card. Then reboot and Run the DL Installs.

See if that might not get you back on track ...

Your USB 2.0 is working properly Right ? it should be one of the four USB .. probably the one nearest your powercord. but try all of them before you start the Above mentioned... this is to make sure we don't mask a possible bigger problem... as your Ram, and Periferals (negating the USB) are all apparently fine

Let us know how it goes...

Honor Student
StarSylph
Message 25 of 31 (2,245 Views)

Hello Again :smileyhappy:

Before making these changes I wanted to clarify...

Why am I changing the Graphic Driver's when they work just fine?  I hate to mess with something that isn't broken and I just want to make sure of your instructions before proceeding - since it looks like removing that driver is irreversable.

Thank you :smileyhappy:

Tutor
Avianadvocate
Message 26 of 31 (2,240 Views)

As to the Graphics driver

If your using a AMD driver (IF) then it will not work 100 % with a Nvidia/ Intel graphics card ....

If how ever your using the default Windows7 driver or the Intel or Nvidia already then ignore this step ...

The step is to clean up and get rid of drivers that might cause conflicts thats all

you can try just installing the updates and hope they work ... that is IF your Windows 8 drivers do work with windows 7 as some do and some dont....

To clearify .. by our model # I see your suposed to have a Icore 7  (i7core) and not a A8/10(AMD)

If this is the case start by trying the provided drivers for your lappy, if it does not work then we'll have to do some digging to find a possible match for the Intel envy's to glean drivers off of

hope that helps

Honor Student
ImTheWalrus
Message 27 of 31 (2,061 Views)

Hey all!

Since i've got the exact same need of installing Win7 onto an ENVY dv6 (in my case 7375ez) i ran into the same USB 3.0 issue.

@StarSylph: Did you manage to get the USB 3.0 to work?

I've followed the advice to de-install all graphics/chipset - drivers and re-installed with the win8 ones - no success.

The interesting thing though is that I obviously got an Intel AND a NVIDIA chip in this notebook. The NVIDIA installer urges me to install the Intel drivers first in order to proceed.

Any clues on how I can get the USB 3.0 port(s) to work?

Many thanks in advance!

Cheers,

ImTheWalrus

Tutor
Avianadvocate
Message 28 of 31 (2,045 Views)

ImTheWalrus

Product Name dv6-7375ez

Product Number D4M05EA

Microprocessor 2.4 GHz Intel Core i7-3630QM

Chipset Intel HM77 Express

Microprocessor Cache 6 MB L3 cache

Memory 12 GB DDR3

Memory Max Upgradeable to 16 GB DDR3 (2 DIMM)

Video Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GT 635M (2 GB GDDR3 dedicated)

Hard Drive 1 TB 5400 rpm SATA
Up to 24 GB partition for system recovery

Multimedia Drive SuperMulti DVD±R/RW with double layer support

Display 39.6 cm (15.6") HD BrightView LED-backlit (1366 x 768)

Network Card Integrated 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet LAN

Wireless Connectivity 802.11b/g/n
Bluetooth
Sound Beats Audio with 4 speakers and HP Triple Bass Reflex Subwoofer

Keyboard Full-size, island-style, backlit with numeric keypad

Pointing Device TouchPad supporting multi-touch gestures and on/off button

External Ports Multi-format digital media card reader for secure digital cards & multimedia cards
1 VGA
1 HDMI
2 headphone-out
1 microphone-in
1 USB 2.0
3 USB 3.0
1 RJ45

Dimensions 37.8 x 24.7 x 3.25 cm

Weight Starting at 2.46 kg

Power 120W AC power adapter
6-cell Li-Ion

Camera

HP TrueVision HD Webcam with integrated dual array digital microphone

I think what you need is the Chip set to get the USB 3 to Work

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?os=4132&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&sw_lang=&product=5361...

If the Chip set from your computer (Win 8) don't work you might consider the dv6-7010tx drivers as it is Close (Not a match but close) for the Chip set drivers in Win7 64bit

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?os=4063&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&sw_lang=&product=5239...

Hope this helps

Honor Student
ImTheWalrus
Message 29 of 31 (2,038 Views)

Thanks for the reply!

I finally got USB working properly. I found a dedicated USB 3.0 driver.

For anyone else struggeling with this kind of issues:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=21129

Regards

ImTheWalrus

Honor Student
ITstudent1
Message 30 of 31 (532 Views)

I have my Envy DV6 7226nr set up to dual boot with Windows7 pro and Windows8.1 pro. I had a tough time with drivers too until someone at my college told me about this program that detects your hardware, and downloads the necessary drivers. I already had countless hours in trying different configurations and drivers so I tried it. Downloaded it and installed it on my laptop and successfully downloaded and installed all of my drivers for all the hardware on my laptop. I would have saved myself a lot of searching if I had found this out first.  You must enable legacy support in your BIOS before installing Windows 7.   https://www.slimwareutilities.com/slimdrivers.php let me know if it works for other models as well. I have learned in my IT classes that there is indeed an" app" for everything.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation