Re: HP Envy 15 and Windows 8.1 (1580 Views)
Tutor
rhermans1960
Message 11 of 29 (1,817 Views)

Re: HP Envy 15 and Windows 8.1

Some info:

5 dec there'l be a windows 8.1 update event.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Community-News/Windows-8-1-Questions-HP-Win8-1-Expert-Day-December-5-20...

hopefully the drivers will be available then,

ps reïnstalled windows 8 again but now with the last updates,it reminds me every startup that I can upgrade to windows 8.1, and I'll have to go to the store to stop that message.  :smileysad:

let's see 5dec.

cheers 

Ronny

Honor Student
YouAreLosingMe
Message 12 of 29 (1,772 Views)

Dunidar

Your response is totally out of line. You're blaming the customer for wanting to upgrade a modern HP laptop (or whatever a notebook is) to the most recently supported OS to take advantage of the OS's new features and to move beyond features that are no longer supported. What are HP laptop customers supposed to do? Buy a new HP laptop? Heck no. If HP can't keep up with driver changes for OS upgrades, especially driver upgrades for an important hardware component such as a Display Adaptor, than it's HP's problem, not HP customers. If HP can't keep up with supporting OS upgrades to a reasonable degree, then HP is spreading itself to thin with too many similar product and product models. Get it together HP or I and others are going to do what comes natural us - that is - stop buying HP products.

Dunidar, you're not working on behalf of HP's customers. That's who you need to be working for.

Honor Student
mcbrewer36
Message 13 of 29 (1,746 Views)

Any update? A month has already passed...
HP Support Agent
Mrstenter
Message 14 of 29 (1,691 Views)

Hi Mcbrewer36,

I would be happy to assist if needed. Please let me know what is your model number? Here is a link that will help you find that out.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00033108&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en

Have you tried the fixes in the previous post?

Please let me know.

Thanks

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!

Mrs.Tenter
I work on behalf of HP
Honor Student
mcbrewer36
Message 15 of 29 (1,620 Views)

Product name: HP ENVY 15 Notebook PC  Product number: A9P60UA#ABA and the previous ideas didn't work...

Honor Student
mcbrewer36
Message 16 of 29 (1,608 Views)

Product name: HP ENVY 15 Notebook PC Product number: A9P60UA#ABA and the previous ideas didn't work...
HP Support Agent
Mrstenter
Message 17 of 29 (1,580 Views)

Hi Mcbrewer36,

Here is a download provided by AMD for Windows 8.1.

http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/latest-catalyst-windows-beta.aspx

Hope this helps.

Thanks

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!

Mrs.Tenter
I work on behalf of HP
Honor Student
YouAreLosingMe
Message 18 of 29 (1,482 Views)

Mrstenter, you need to stop trying to help. Your posts are just confusing things further.

Here's my latest experience. I have an Envy 15 (15t-3000). It came with Wins7 16bit and I believe it had a working switchable graphics feature. After upgrading to Wins8.0 16bit and then to Wins8.1bit, the switchable graphics feature stopped working - only running the low performance, on-Motherboard, GPU.

The solution directly downloadable from AMD was never supported on the Envy because HP has specific mods for the AMD switchable graphics GPU solutions that have to come through HP. Finally, HP released a version for HP Envy's and Wins8.1 - it was distributed through Windows Update. It became available sometime around 12/20/13.

I ran (and installed) the Windows Update and sure enough - no more code 43 error resulting from the AMD Radeon 6600m/6700M Series driver.

But  switchable graphics feature still didn't work!!!! I went to HP documentation and learned that there are two available modes of switchable graphics - Dynamic and Fixed. Apparently it's important that you get the mode and display adapter's capability matched up correctly. So the next question was, is it a Dynamic mode or Fixed mode switchable graphics solution? Looking the HP documentation was confusing because the documentation is flawed and has mistakes. The badly written documentation attempts at explaining that the AMD Catalyst Control Center app installed with the updated driver is different per Dynamic and Fixed mode. I can only guess from the badly written HP documentation and what I saw in the AMD CCC app that my Envy 15 supported Fixed mode. OK, well, switchable graphics was still stuck using the power saving onboard GPU regardless if the PC was plugged in or using battery. After remembering seeing something about switchable graphics configuration in the BIOS configuration menu, I went to BIOS and found out that the BIOS was set to "Dynamic." I configured the BIOS setting for "Fixed," saved, exited and booted. Once booted, I fire up the AMD CCC app and configured manual switch mode: you can either let the OS decide which display adapter, the high performance or low power consumption one, to use (based on whether your PC is plugged in or is running off battery) or if you want to manually select the GPU variant. And finally, I was running the high performance AMD discreet GPU - YEAH!

But the switchable graphics feature still doesn't work - i.e. I can't get AMD CCC app to switch the GPU it's using. Currently, it's stuck using the high performance variant - which is better than before since I bought the Envy for its graphic capability in the first place.

Boy, Dynamic or Fixed Mode Switchable Graphics - a stupid, complicated feature documented incorrectly and late on updates. HP, you would have done better to "keep it simple stupid."

Intern
virus86
Message 19 of 29 (1,433 Views)

After more than two months since I started this thread, there are still no new drivers from hp for Windows 8.1 and my Envy 15. I dont plan to try out the workarounds since Ill have to format my computer back to Windows 8 if it doesnt work.

This will be my last hp product since their support is really poor. They think a 2 year old product is not worth supporting anymore. My Envy is nearly 2 years old and is still under warranty!!!! hp lost another customer and I will never recommend another hp product to my friends and coworkers....

------------------------
GO GATORS
Intern
victorx1
Message 20 of 29 (1,404 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hello everyone i also had the same problem  with HP ENVY 6 1002TXWITH AMD RADEON 7670M 2GB DDR3 with Intel HD 4000

then i got a solution from my friend who using the same config laptop (ENVY 4 1002TX)

Switchable graphics was problem in 8.1,by installing amd driver from hp for windows 8 it installs both inteland amd drivers , which causes problem if u do this in windows 8.1, so follow these

STEPS  FOLLOWED

1) first uninstall the drivers in the system including intel and amd , i mean complete install

2)download the latest drivers released by intel and install it first,istalled "Win64_15338" downloaded from intel website

3)if u havent uninstalled properly the driver installation fails and says"Drivers is notcompatible with current OS"

4)then downloadnad install latest beta driver from amd website for eg the latest one is "amd_catalyst_13.11_mobility_betav9.5"

5) Now the latest beta driver will install sucessfully (if any errors occurs ie, installation completed with errors then restart and run setup again and it wil fix things)

6) The new drivers gives u high boodt in fps and clarity , Really enjoyed the new drivers 

I think most of the  laptops now supports this method !!!!

NB:Intel has released new windows 8.1drivers for chipsets including intel 4000 , try to downloadthe new one and the old one for windows 8 willnt support this method.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation