Question

Student
MannyM
Message 1 of 2 (308 Views)

HP Lemons

[ Edited ]

For the past six years, my family bought four notebook computers - two Sony Vaios, a Toshiba Presario and two HP laptops (one an HP Pavillion Tablet and the other, a regular HP Pavillion notebook). The Sony is now 6 years old, the Toshiba, 4 years nearing its fifth year, the non-tablet HP which we bought two years ago for my work only lasted a month and the Tablet PC lasted me over a year and now is broken with the same problem as our first HP laptop. My son, who bought the first HP Pavillion, instead of waiting for support, bought a second laptop (not sure exactly what it is, but I think it's either an Acer or a Dell) to replace the HP Pavillion (non-Tablet PC). That laptop is still working and he is using it for work.

My problem is, both HP products had exactly the same problem - they both just stopped working. The system does not even load the initial setup program, so it does not even get to the part where it loads the OS. The indicator lights and the fan turn on but nothing seems to happen beyond that. I connected the PCs to external monitor to see if it was just a display issue, but nothing shows. So the first HP just sat there from the time it broke (there is an HP ticket number for it, but because I was busy traveling abroad for my software company, the warranty lapsed) and we never used it beyond a couple of months, while my tablet PC was used a lot for my business. Last week, I backed up my documents, so I was lucky in that respect. There are only two documents that I need to copy to my external backup drive.

I tried everything I could, even removed the battery and just ran both of them under direct power, but to no avail. I hope this is not typical of HP laptops. Now I'm using the Toshiba Presario to report this issue.

This is really a weird problem, so if anybody out there has some idea or suggestion, please let me know. I'd appreciate it. My email address is<text removed for privacy>

Thanks.

Manny

Provost
CherylG
Message 2 of 2 (289 Views)

Re: HP Lemons

Sorry to hear of your unfortunate experiences with your HP's. It appears that the immediate concern is retrieving your documents.For that I would pick up a USB hdd enclosure, remove the hdd from laptop and put it in it. You can then plug it into another machine and copy the documents.

For the start up issues, it has sometimes worked to remove the power cord and battery, hold in the power button for 20-30 seconds, and then try with only power cord for first attempt to start. An odd tidbit I recently read on another site which many were trying and reporting success with was turning the laptop upside down before holding the power button in. Not sure what that does..but it seemed to be working for posters there.:smileyhappy:

******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button is a way to give Kudo's -Thanks!.******
**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation