Question

Honor Student
perakis
Message 1 of 4 (1,416 Views)

HP MediaSmart DVD doesn't play Bluray disks in Windows 8 64 bit

Hello! I have the Notebook dv6-1290ev with Product number NZ358EA#B1A and i recently upgrade my system to windows 8 Pro 64 bit from Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit. The problem i have is that the program HP MediaSmart DVD which came with my computer doesn't play bluray discs after the upgrade. The version of HP MediaSmart DVD i have is 4.2.2.5122. The program says ''HP MediaSmartDVD doesn' t support playback Bluray in virtual devices. One disk Bluray should be loaded in the drive BD-ROM".

Do you know if an updated version to HP MediaSmart DVD compatible in windows 8 exists?

Is there anyone program from HP that is being used in newer notebooks to support bluray playback in windows 8 to use it in my notebook also?

Can anyone help me?

Provost
DavidPK
Message 2 of 4 (1,408 Views)

Re: HP MediaSmart DVD doesn't play Bluray disks in Windows 8 64 bit

Hi,

If you're using HP MediaSmart DVD to play the Blu ray disc, try the following.

HP now provides a version of Cyberlinks PowerDVD 10 which will work under Windows 8.  Download the latest installer for this on the link below and save it to your Downloads folder.

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp60001-60500/sp60287.exe

When the download has completed, open windows Control Panel, open Programs and Features, right click the entry for HP MediaSmart DVD and select Uninstall - when this process has completed, restart the notebook.

When windows  has reloaded, open your Downloads folder and double-click the installer for PowerDVD 10 to start the installation.  When this has completed, see if your Blu ray discs now plays OK.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Honor Student
perakis
Message 3 of 4 (1,391 Views)

Hi

I have downloaded the PowerDVD 10 as you said, but when i tried to playback bluray disk it says that it didn't support playback and that i have to upgrade to PowerDVD 12 Ultra!

Do you have any solution for this?

Thank you

Provost
DavidPK
Message 4 of 4 (1,384 Views)

Hi,

In that case, try the following.

First, open windows Control Panel, open Programs and Features, right click the entry for 'Cyberlink PowerDVD10' and select Uninstall - during this procedure, if you're asked if you wish to keep user data and preferences, select No.

When done, restart the noteook.

Next, download and reinstall the Chipset driver on the following link.

Chipset Driver.

When this has completed, restart the notebook again.

When windows has reloaded, download the alternative version of Cyberlink PowerDVD 10 on the following link and save it to your Downloads folder.

Cyberlink PowerDVD 10 - Windows 8.

Next, if you don't have an extraction utility installed, download and install 7-Zip.  Please note, if you have a 64bit installation, download and install the .msi 64-bit x64 installer on the link below.

http://www.7-zip.org/

When done, open your Downloads folder, right click the Cyberlink installer, select 7-zip, select extract files and then click Ok.  Open the newly extracted sp59999 folder and you'll see another installer called setup - right click this and again, select 7-zip, select extract files and then click Ok.  Open the newly extracted Setup folder, right click the setup application ( 7th from the bottom with a size of 313Kb ) and select 'Run as Administrator' to start the installation.

When this has completed, restart the notebook again and let Windows fully load, then check if it's now working.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation