Question
HP MediaSmart DVD player won't play Blu Ray Discs even after updating software.
Replies (39)

Regents Professor
HaggisCat
Message 31 of 40 (1,580 Views)

Re: HP MediaSmart DVD player won't play Blu Ray Discs even after updating software.

Not much to go on here, a model number would be helpful.

If it's not reading your Blu-ray's or burning, try cleaning the lenses with some Q-tips and isopropyl alcohol.

Try a good brand of burnable discs like Sony or Verbatim, don't use a cheap generic brand.

Do you have a Blu-ray burner on your laptop, if so the slim-line blu-ray burners are not that great ?

As mentioned before though clean the lenses _ both the blu-ray and the DVD lens.

Top Student
leesnell
Message 32 of 40 (1,577 Views)

Re: HP MediaSmart DVD player won't play Blu Ray Discs even after updating software.

my model number is dv7-3079

Yes I have a blu ray burner in my system. I will try to clean the lenes

Regents Professor
HaggisCat
Message 33 of 40 (1,571 Views)

Ok, if I don;t hear from you, I will assume that the problem was a dirty lens.

Top Student
leesnell
Message 34 of 40 (1,541 Views)

well I cleaned the lens like you said now it will read copied disks but still not reading blu ray disk

Teacher
team79
Message 35 of 40 (1,534 Views)

[ Edited ]

Are you sure about having a blu-ray Burner in the DV7-3079wm.

The reason I ask is that I have one (dv7-3079) and I think it was a pre-configured system that did not allow you to customize the hardware (from HP)

My 3079 has a blu-ray player but not a Blu-Ray burner.

Are you getting the constant check for updates message from the Mediasmart application?

What you can try is the dos command diskpart (run as adminstrator) and then diskpart and then list volume

command below shows a blu-ray disk loaded 41GB and then a standard DVD+R

DISKPART> list volume

Volume ### Ltr Label Fs Type Size Status Info
---------- --- ----------- ----- ---------- ------- --------- --------
Volume 0 F HELIUMD1USA UDF DVD-ROM 41 GB Healthy
Volume 1 SYSTEM NTFS Partition 198 MB Healthy System
Volume 2 C OS NTFS Partition 282 GB Healthy Boot
Volume 3 E RECOVERY NTFS Partition 15 GB Healthy
Volume 4 HP_TOOLS FAT Partition 104 MB Healthy
Volume 5 D DATA NTFS Partition 298 GB Healthy Pagefile
Volume 6 G FAT32 Removable 3835 MB Healthy
Volume 7 I FreeAgent G NTFS Partition 1397 GB Healthy
Volume 8 H FreeAgent G NTFS Partition 465 GB Healthy

DISKPART> exit

Leaving DiskPart...

C:\Windows\System32>diskpart

Microsoft DiskPart version 6.1.7601
Copyright (C) 1999-2008 Microsoft Corporation.
On computer: DADS-LAPTOP

DISKPART> list volume

Volume ### Ltr Label Fs Type Size Status Info
---------- --- ----------- ----- ---------- ------- --------- --------
Volume 0 F Repair disc UDF DVD-ROM 267 MB Healthy
Volume 1 SYSTEM NTFS Partition 198 MB Healthy System
Volume 2 C OS NTFS Partition 282 GB Healthy Boot
Volume 3 E RECOVERY NTFS Partition 15 GB Healthy
Volume 4 HP_TOOLS FAT Partition 104 MB Healthy
Volume 5 D DATA NTFS Partition 298 GB Healthy Pagefile
Volume 6 G FAT32 Removable 3835 MB Healthy
Volume 7 I FreeAgent G NTFS Partition 1397 GB Healthy
Volume 8 H FreeAgent G NTFS Partition 465 GB Healthy

DISKPART>

If the standard dvd info is reported but the blu-ray does not there's a chance the the blue laser has failed and you will most likely have to replace the drive.

Honor Student
jrichltd
Message 36 of 40 (1,488 Views)

I have a dv7 4267cl running windows 7.  After reinstalling update software for the blu-ray player, I still get

message asking if I want to update.

Top Student
leesnell
Message 37 of 40 (1,484 Views)

I know it is just a bluray player but I can't get it to read the Bluray disc at all

Regents Professor
HaggisCat
Message 38 of 40 (1,475 Views)

Not sure where else to go here.

The links from Notebookreview for Media Smart DVD and Cyberlink Power DVD10 are up to date here.

Try one or the other, although both will run on the same machine.

In both cases save the install file to the desk top and install it form there, not from a temporary folder.

Restart after the installation and load the Blu-ray disc automativally with out initially opening the program.

If you get a message that it needs to update, close that off and press play. Do not allow it to try and update, make sure and click the "X" and simply close it off.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/hp-drivers-software-forum/519991-popular-hp-notebook-software.html

Media Smart DVD's file number is sp53390 and

Cyberlink Power DVD is sp59999

Top Student
leesnell
Message 39 of 40 (1,472 Views)

ok will try that

Top Student
PhotoVideoDude
Message 40 of 40 (531 Views)

Re: HP MediaSmart DVD player won't play Blue Ray Discs even after updating software.

I had a bunch of problems too...I did all the windows updates and then I had to go to Intel's site directly to download the upgrade of for the Intel HD 4000 graphics driver.  My computer has both the descrete Nvidia and the integrated Intel graphics cards and it turns out that PowerDVD only uses the Intel graphics card.  Windows update would not allow me to update it so I had to go directly to Intel to get the updated driver.  I have heard bad things about going directly to intel to get a graphics driver, but I have done it twice and it has only fixed the problems I was having.  Just create a restore point if you are scared and if it fails just go back...

...so in short, just find out which graphics card you are using and update the driver by going to the manufactures website!

...it worked for me!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation