Question

Tutor
WESand
Message 1 of 26 (4,525 Views)

HP MediaSmart reinstall after Windows 7 upgrade

I have a HP HDX Premium 1200 laptop that came with Vista installed. I was sent an upgrade for Windows 7, 64 bit when it became available and just now upgraded. During the compatibility check it told me to uninstall HP MediaSmart Music/video/photos program which i did, thinking it could be reinstalled with Application Recovery disk that came with computer.

After upgrade I inserted disk and it didn't autorun any recovery program, just asked if I wanted to view files.

So I went to HP web site and downloaded program and ran installation, several times. In the middle of installation as I watch command prompt window, I get error message "Error applying transforms. Verify that the specified paths are valid. C:\HP\tmp\ src\1033.mst"  and the installation terminates. How do I reinstall the HP MediaSmart Music/Video/Photo??

Master's Graduate
AU4U
Message 2 of 26 (4,513 Views)

Re: HP MediaSmart reinstall after Windows 7 upgrade

[ Edited ]

ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

Try this:

Start > All Programs > Recovery Manager > Recovery Manager > Advanced Options > Software Program Re-Installation > Next > HP Media Smart.........

Hopefully  this works for you.

Post back if it didn't.

2011-11-12_003247.png

2011-11-05_012227.jpg

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

> Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution!
> See a great post? Click on the white star and give it a Kudos!

Tutor
WESand
Message 3 of 26 (4,509 Views)

Thanks for suggestion. Tried it and got same error message as all other attempts.

Regents Professor
HaggisCat
Message 4 of 26 (4,502 Views)

Save the file to the desk top and use 7Zip to extract the files.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ob-77465-1&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&...

http://www.7-zip.org/download.html

When you extract it you will see "this" ounce the folder is opened.

MS MVP.PNG

Click on SetupISPBits to install it, it takes a while, it's a big program.

If this does not work, post again.

Tutor
WESand
Message 5 of 26 (4,490 Views)

Thanks for suggestion. This starts the same installation process as when I double click the executable file sp45691.exe that I downloaded from HP.

And, I get the same exact error message.

any other suggestions to deal with error??   I have read online that others get the same error message installing or uninstalling other programs

Regents Professor
HaggisCat
Message 6 of 26 (4,488 Views)

[ Edited ]

I don't think you quite understand what I want you to do. Ounce you have 7Zip installed you right click on the sp45691  folder and extract the information form the install folder from HP, just clicking on the install folder you just saved to your desk top will not work, as you know.

Ounce that's done you left click on the extracted folder and you will find what is in the screen shot.

Did you use 7Zip to extract the folder ?

If you did I still have one more thing to try.

Tutor
WESand
Message 7 of 26 (4,482 Views)

Yes, I think did exactly what you said, I used 7zip to extract files from the file sp45691.exe downloaded from HP at the first url link . 7zip extracted the files to a folder named sp45691. I opened the folder and got the exact same as your screen shot. I then ran the application file SetupISPBits . It opened a command prompt window and started installing program, then stoped and gave the same error message    "Error applying transforms. Verify that the specified paths are valid. C:\HP\tmp\ src\1033.mst" 

thanks for your help

what is your other idea ?

Regents Professor
HaggisCat
Message 8 of 26 (4,480 Views)

Go back to screen shot and click on the second file from the top HPMSTSMVP  etc.   not the one that says MovieThemes

Keep clicking until you get to a folder named src.

Open that and there will be a very long list, scroll to the bottom and look for a file named setup, the 9th one from the bottom.

Clicking on that should begin the install process, if that does not do it, I will have to put my thinking cap on. :smileywink:

The other folder (Movie Themes) are video clips and are just bloatware.

Tutor
WESand
Message 9 of 26 (4,478 Views)

Setup started install process and then I immediately get a different version of the same error message  "Error applying transforms. Verify that the specified paths are valid. "C:\users\......\HP\tmp\ src\1033.mst"

Regents Professor
HaggisCat
Message 10 of 26 (4,473 Views)

One of the problems with upgrades is that they leave old Vista registry files behind that are still running in the background that interfere with the installation of software, amongst other things.

The way around this is to do a clean install with your upgrade disc and you can do this. Did you receive or is the a W7 product key anywhere in your package you received from HP ?

The other thing is to Google "Error Applying Transforms in Windows 7", there may be a disc clean up utility that may help.

Have you tried installing any other Media Smart Programs and are all the touch sensitive buttons working above the keyboard, like your eject and volume OSD etc. ?

I found this and there is a Windows update you can try.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprogeneral/thread/35889a69-a4fd-430d-8488-897d2...

It's one of those things that is very difficult to pin down and it may be easier to start from scratch.

I am going to watch a movie and I will let you do some of the homework _ I will check back later.

If you decide to do a clean install I will take you through the whole process and I can guarantee everything will work.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation