Question

Top Student
Bailywolf
Message 1 of 3 (5,198 Views)

HP Mini MIE - Streaming video (youtube, hulu) is choppy

The subject says it- streaming video playback is choppy, and seems to really bog the machine down unless I let it cache's a fair bit (a few minutes at least) before playing.

Mie/Ubuntu OS, current with all updates, and Flash 9 in Firefox.

-B

Honor Student
Alonso
Message 2 of 3 (5,146 Views)

Re: HP Mini MIE - Streaming video (youtube, hulu) is choppy

I had the same problem when I got the computer out of the box. I made a couple of adjustments that have helped my machine (I have SSD installed and 1GB of ram):

• Changed the filesystem mount options to noatim. This configures your system to NOT log and update a file every time it's accessed. The downside is that you won't know the last time a file was accessed (not created or modified), but this is rarely used.
  • Configured the elevator kernel option to noop. This changes the disk access configuration to NOT use the elevator option. The elevator option configures the disk access to access file sequentially based on their physical location.
  • Set the firefox cache to ramdisk (this one really made a difference). Enables buffering to ram so that you're not buffering on the system disk.
  • And set the ramdisk_size to 512000 (I have 1GB of ram). I'm not sure what the default is, but this made a marginal difference.

You can find instructions in the link below:

http://starcubetech.blogspot.com/2008/10/ssd-optimization-on-ubuntu.html

For firefox...ramdisk is already installed in /dev/shm/ so all you have to do is set browser.cache.disk.parent_directory to /dev/shm/ (you may have to create it)

Hope this helps!

Top Student
Bailywolf
Message 3 of 3 (5,122 Views)

Re: HP Mini MIE - Streaming video (youtube, hulu) is choppy

Thanks!

I noticed that the Firefox on my Mini never uses more than 130Mb of RAM, while on my PC it gobbles upwards on 300 after running for awhile- do you know if the PC version is configured to use RAM this way?

But that's an aside. 

Before tyring these fiddlier options, I removed Flash Player 9 (which it shipped with) and upgraded to 10.  Funny story- you MUST use the cli to remove FP9, or Firefox never picks up FP10 no matter how you install it.  This was very annoying.  But with one line, the old one was removed, and the new installed easily.  FP10 has improved the playback performance a great deal (and it no longer crashes Firefox).   

Before fiddling with the kernal (which inspires linux newb fears), I'll do the Firefox ramdrive tweak.

I really apreciate the help.

-B

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation