Student
Ross326
Message 1 of 9 (11,098 Views)

HP Network Check Helper

I am getting a pop up window that says the following:

The 'HP Network Check Helper' add-on from 'Hewlett-Packark

Company ' is ready for use.

It then asks me to ENABLE or DON'T ENABLE

I've looked around on the website and I cannot find anything about this.

I'm afraid this is a virus waiting to be enabled.

Does anybody know what this is?

Is it safe?

Is it needed?

Thank you!

Student
stcygrl
Message 2 of 9 (11,025 Views)

Re: HP Network Check Helper

I just got it too and considering it was from HP, I enabled it!!  But what is it????????

Student
DaveW12
Message 3 of 9 (10,944 Views)

Me Three!  I got a notice that HP Support Assistant need updating, which I began.  It took a long time to download and install.  It asked to reboot, which I did.  Now I get the pop-up asking to enable or disable the "HP Network Check Helper".

My internet search for the checker showed up a few instances of it installed in the computers of people who were getting help and dumping their computers' hijackthis.log files.  The HP Network Check Helper was not the problem in these instances.  It also showed up in this forum, the only place where this network checker is associated directly with HP.

My guess is that it is an actual add-on from HP, but without further information about it I am not inclined to enable it.  At 108 processes running and the number steadily growing, I don't want any more. 

I'd appreciate it for companies to do a better job of documenting what they're trying to get us to download and use.  Otherwise, if we just take it on faith that it is what it says, we risk installing something undesireable.

Regents Professor
UniProg
Message 4 of 9 (10,768 Views)

HP Network Check Helper

Hello everyone,

This thread explains what this add-on is.

I hope this helps,
Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
Top Student
startrekphazer
Message 5 of 9 (3,449 Views)

I have found HP Network Check to be very useful when trying to get back online. In fact my problem has been trying to get this program back because I love the feature but now for some reason it stopped working. I was searching for help when I came across your question.  If you ever go offline for some reason just launch HP Network Check and it goes through a troubleshooting prosses and gets you back online fast. A handy tool in my mind. Not a virus threat.

Honor Student
jett01000010
Message 6 of 9 (2,570 Views)

If your computer is losing it's Internet connection you have a hardware or software problem. If you need this "HP Network Check" you are only fixing a symptom not the cause of the problem. You should learn to navigate Windows menus and settings instead of relying on Helpers and Wizards that suck memory and speed from your computer. You don't have to be a Windows expert, just use an effective search online to find a solution to your problem. It helps if you have two devices when the Net goes down ;-)

Top Student
startrekphazer
Message 7 of 9 (2,561 Views)

Re: HP Network Check Helper Problem solved.

Thanks for the link. I now have HP network check back. Works great. Thanks!

Top Student
startrekphazer
Message 8 of 9 (2,557 Views)

Ok, so how do I go about that. I have tried to solve the problem without "network check" and not had any success. Its easy to say "learn to navigate". Figuring it out is another matter. What procedure do you use?   

Honor Student
jett01000010
Message 9 of 9 (2,541 Views)

To diagnose network problems you work through the networking levels:

A. start at the hardware level -

1. are the lights on with the right colours on all the devices

2. does it work wired or closer to the router

3. do other devices connect (phones, gaming console, smart TV, etc)

If your connection is flaky Windows will often refuse to reconnect automatically - this depends mostly on the quality of your network card.

B. move up to the connection level

1. does your computer show any bars? does it show connected with Internet or Limited? If your connection is limited try turning Wifi off then back on - use the hardware button if you have one on your laptop.

2.use command promt command netconfig and see if the network adapter(s) are active and connecting

3. if you are using multiple routers (some modems) can act as a router make sure only one of them is an active DHCP server

C. test the protocol / connection

1. the netconfig command will give you the default gateway adress, try to ping it. If you have a network device such as a printer or a NAS you should be able to ping those also.

2. use the trace route command to try to connect to a website it will show you the jumps from one networking device to the next and you will see where your connection stalls because there will be no response and a timeout from that device in the chain

3. turn off proxies. If you do not understand proxies you should not be using software that redirects your connection. You might have a malware that is redirecting your Internet through a proxy to steal all you information. You might also have a network anonymiser or filter buster that is using a proxy. Finally you might have installed more than one anti-virus. Avast uses a local software proxy to analyse web traffic and if you have a second antivirus, like AVG free, they will not let you connect to websites even if you have a connection.

4. a common problem that will kill your network connections is having two devices with the same IP address. At home my printer has a static IP to print in IP-Direct mode so it has to be ON before my computers or my stupid router will hand out the reserved IP address even though I manually entered it as a reserved address in the IP table. The moral of this story is do not assume that networking devices always work the way they are supposed to.

D. test the software

1. try with a web browses from different vendors

2. try software of different types like FTP or Skype

Like I said before, if you are losing your conection there is a probem with one of your connection levels. The last time I had connection problems they were intermittent and I tracked it down to a defective wireless router because my Internet was solid when I connected directly to the modem with a wire. My Internet was also also perfect when I used my mobile phone as a hotspot - that allowed me to rule out problems in levels B to D.

P.S. I do not do this for a living, I just read how-to's on the Internet with Google searches.

Good luck finding your problem

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation