Question

Student
IAreKyleW00t
Message 1 of 2 (4,537 Views)

HP OEM With Clean Version/Install of Windows 7

Hey, I just bought a HP Notebook with Windows 7 Home Premium (x64-bit) on it. As usual it's loaded up with a bunch of crapware on it. I have a clean Windows 7 Home Premium (x64) install Disc, so can i use that disc to format the drive and install the OS with the OEM key that came with the Laptop?

I've heard you can, and it's COMPLETELY legal. I also heard you probably need to call Microsoft too, because it's a OEM key. I'm just making sure so before I do anything I know what exactly will happen. I could get the drivers online, but pretty much Would A Clean Install/Version of Windows 7 accept my OEM Key from my HP Notebook? Thanks in advanced for all your responses!

PS: A Simple Yes/No answer is fine, or if I you want to elaborate on the answer then feel free to. Thanks! 

Regents Professor
HaggisCat
Message 2 of 2 (4,510 Views)

Re: HP OEM With Clean Version/Install of Windows 7

Yes you can, but there is a much easier way of getting rid of the bloat-ware.

Follow the system recovery steps until you get to this window and choose "Minimized Image recovery"

original.png

I have been told that the Media Smart software, as well as the recovery manager will still be there, but all the rest should be gone. If you choose to do it your way, save the SwSetup folder to DVD+R as it has all the HP drivers in it. It also has things like Microsoft Word Processor in it, which is not included in the OEM version of W7.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation