Re: HP Pavilion 15-n210dx - Goes to external drive by itself (26 Views)
Honor Student
bluecanvas
Message 1 of 4 (60 Views)

HP Pavilion 15-n210dx - Goes to external drive by itself

I recently purchased this notebook and getting used to Windows 8.

For some reason the computer by itself opens my external hard drive, which is plugged into the notebook. It will happen whether I have my hands on the laptop or not. Any ideas?

Associate Dean
Dragon-Fur
Message 2 of 4 (49 Views)

Re: HP Pavilion 15-n210dx - Goes to external drive by itself

[ Edited ]

BlueCanvas,

Welcome to the HP Forum.

Idea:

When you mapped the network (external) drive to your notebook, you may have checked the Reconnect at sign-in box.  That will cause the drive to be mounted (available) each time you log into your account.

Example of a File Explorer Window > PC > Drive Map Setting:

Map_Network_Drive_1.JPG

One more place to check for odd windows stuff:

In File Explorer window > View > Folder Options (over on the right side) > View >

In Advanced Settings >> You may have Checked

Restore previous folder windows at logon

==========================================================================

For your reading pleasure, Dragon Docment:

Windows 8 Features – A Quick Tour

Click the Kudos Thumbs-Up to show you appreciate the help and time from our Experts.

Click Accept as Solution when the Answer is a good Fix or Workaround!

Although I strive to reflect HP's best practices, I do not work for HP. 

Kind Regards,
Dragon-Fur
Honor Student
bluecanvas
Message 3 of 4 (43 Views)

Thanks. I didn't do any mapping. The external drive is a plug and play. It's on drive F.  When I click for the available drives, F is not listed there. Should it be?

When my computer automatically goes to the external drive, I hear the "Device Disconnect" sound. Maybe it's a faulty USB port?

map-drive-f.jpg

Associate Dean
Dragon-Fur
Message 4 of 4 (26 Views)

BlueCanvas,

OK, if the drive is a USB drive and not a NAS (network drive), there is not reason for you to have mapped the location. 

One does not "map" a local USB connected drive.

Mapping is a method used to allow you to use remote disk drives.  For example, when you are at work, some of the information on which your job depends might be located on a remote server.  When you "map" the \\server\disk location that data becomes available to your computer so you can access it.

I admit I am confused by part of what you said, although this could be just a case of semantics.

When you say your computer "automatically goes to the drive", do you mean to say (something like):

When I navigate to the drive, that is, try to open access to the drive contents - the drive fails to open and instead clicks as if it is disconnecting.

If you are indeed trying to access the data on the disk and the disk is refusing you access in this manner, then there are a couple of possibilities - a bad USB port is one of those.  You might have already discovered a fix for this by simply moving the USB drive to another USB port.

Disconnect the Drive and everything else from the Notebook for this Check:

Reminder:  Hard Reset is just a device Reset.  The procedure does not wipe out your files nor does it destroy your Windows setup in any way.  It just "clears the cobwebs".  Depending on the cause of the problem, this kind of "reset" can fix a variety of computer glitches.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NEXT:

Check Control Panel > set icon view > Device Manager >

Check for any missing Drivers

===========================================================

Depending on whether it is available, you might try the following:

Connect the Drive to the Notebook:

Navigate to the Hitachi Drive (F)  > Right-Click on the Drive Name > Properties >

If available, Select Tools >

In Error Checking  > Check

============================================================================

If this is indeed the issue, yet all attempts to reach the data on the drive fails, I would suggest -- depending on how desperate the situation -- you either just replace the drive, or seek professional help.

It is possible that I am still missing the point entirely.  Sometimes I can do that.  :smileyhappy:

Click the Kudos Thumbs-Up to show you appreciate the help and time from our Experts.

Although I strive to reflect HP's best practices, I do not work for HP. 

Click Accept as Solution when the Answer is a good Fix or Workaround!

Kind Regards,
Dragon-Fur
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation