Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi everyone,

I bought an HP Pavlion DV6-6C52EL one year ago, with Windows 7 pre-installed. After two months I upgraded it to Windows 8, and now to Windows 8.1 (I made a fresh install of Windows 8 and an upgrade from 8 to 8.1).

But I have some problems with the video drivers. In particular, at every start I get an error message about "Load MMDriver Application". First of all I have to say that my VGA are an AMD Radeon 7470M + the integrated Intel HD 3000 (my CPU is an Intel Core i5).

So I uninstalled all the video drivers (both the AMD and Intel VGA drivers) and reinstalled the new ones from HP Support site, but they are for Windows 8 (not for 8.1) and not updated; in fact I still get the error message, and I can see that the AMD Radeon 7470 is not working. Only the Intel HD 3000 works. In the Device Manager I get the Code 43 error on the Radeon. Suggestions? I've already updated the BIOS to the last versione, without success. Must I downgrade to Windows 8 or 7? :Crying:

HP, please update your drivers for Windows 8.1.

Thank you in advance for your help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

12/15 UPDATE: Finally, I've completely solved the problem. Now both the VGA and the brightness control work perfectly.

After many tests, drivers installations and uninstallations (and a lot of patience :indifferent: ), I'd like to share my solution for the users with my same problem.

Before you start, please check on HP Support Site if the Windows 8.1 drivers are now available.

• If yes, you'll get your graphics working only by installing the correct drivers.
  • If not, please go on reading this post.

==========================================================================================

- If you are planning to do a clean  Windows 8.1 install, just download the Windows 8 drivers for the Intel HD integrated graphics and the AMD Radeon dedicated graphics from HP Support Site and install them. They should work immediately.

- If you have updated  your system from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1, like in my case, you could have some graphic issues. I'll show you how to solve those issues step-by-step.

1. Update your BIOS to the latest version available. Download it from the official HP Support Site.

2. Uninstall both the Intel integrated graphics driver and the AMD dedicated graphics driver from Control Panel. Do not restart your PC.

3. Using the free tool Display Driver Uninstaller  (search on Google for the latest version), clean the registry keys and the system folders to completely remove AMD drivers. Reboot your PC now.

4. Download both the Intel HD Graphics and AMD Radeon drivers for Windows 8 from HP Support Site, but install only the Intel drivers.

5. Enter in the BIOS configuration and change the "Switchable Graphics" to "Fixed" mode.

6. Install now the previously downloaded AMD Radeon drivers and reboot your PC.

When you'll restart Windows 8.1, you should get the Radeon fully working; check in the Device Manager to see if it's all ok. If not, please follow my guide shown in the "12/08 Update" post above and try with that.

Now you (finally!) have both the Intel and AMD Radeon graphics working with the brightness control. 🙂

Thanks anyway to the users who tried to help me.

* NOTE: Those steps worked for me, for my configuration (Intel Core i5 2450M with Intel HD 3000 and AMD Radeon 7470M) so use those guides at your own risk. I do not assume any responsability in case of problems or malfunctions of your system. *

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

* Before you read the guide below, please check the "12/15 Update" post. *

12/08 UPDATE: I've (partially) solved the problem by myself. Now the VGA works perfectly, except the brightness control; if I try to increase or decrease the display brightness, it doesn't change. Do you know how to fix this?

Meanwhile I'll show how I solved my problem, maybe you can find it useful.

Before you start, please check on HP Support Site if the Windows 8.1 drivers are available: maybe HP has updated them after I wrote this guide. My PC model is HP Pavilion DV6 6C52EL.

1. Update your BIOS to the latest version available. Download it from the official Hp Support Site.

2. Install the Intel HD 3000 Graphics driver for Windows 8 from HP Support Site. Do not restart your PC.

3. Install the AMD Radeon HD 7470M Graphics driver for Windows 8 from HP Support Site. Restart your PC now.

4. After the restart, you could get an error message about the AMD video driver. In fact, the Radeon is still not working (in the Device Manager you should get the error code 43) but don't panic; it's ok.

5. Download the latest Radeon Mobility Driver Beta from AMD website (the 13.11 beta v9.5 worked for me) and install it without uninstalling the previous version (the driver previously downloaded and installed from HP Support Site must remain installed).

6. Restart your PC and enter in the BIOS configuration, then change the "Switchable Graphics" to "Fixed" mode.

Now start Windows 8.1 normally; you should get the Radeon fully working, but you'll lose the brightness control (for now). Those steps worked for me, for my configuration (Intel Core i5 2450M with Intel HD 3000 and AMD Radeon 7470M) so use this guide at your own risk. I do not assume any responsability in case of problems or malfunctions of your system.

If you have any ideas about how to solve the brightness control, please answer this topic. Thank you very much! 🙂

HP Recommended

Hi Css13. Thanks for the steps to resolve your switchable graphics issue. Windows 8.1 implements an auto-brightness which prevents brightness control until you disable it.

Try the steps outlined here.
Disable Auto-Brightness Adjustment in Windows 8.1:
http://www.maketecheasier.com/disable-auto-brightness-adjustment-in-windows-8-1/

Here is another document with a few more details.
Troubleshoot Surface screen brightness and display:
http://www.microsoft.com/surface/en-us/support/personalization-and-ease-of-access/troubleshoot-surfa...

Let me know how this works.

TwoPointOh
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

Hi TwoPointOh, thanks for your reply.

I've tried both the guides you linked above, but unfortunately none of them worked for me.

I think it's a driver problem, however I prefer to use a working VGA without the brightness control instead of an unrecognized Radeon and the brightness control working.

Anyway, do you think is it possible to try with other methods?

Or must I wait the official HP drivers for Windows 8.1 for my device (Pavilion DV6-6C52EL)?

Thank you once again.

HP Recommended

Thanks Css13. The HP drivers would be an obvious solution if they become available for Windows 8.1 for your computer. The beta driver, you used to make it work, may not have the brightness fully working. I have seen a few other posts of this nature.

So you turned off 'Enable adaptive brightness' for both battery and external power?
Does the Windows 'brightness' feature not enable you to move the slider, or does it simply not respond to the slider?

One last thought, if you review this forum thread. They went to the generic driver, and were able to set the brightness. Then they went back to the other driver and it stuck at the brightness setting they left it at. This might be at least a workaround until a proper update is released.

http://www.eightforums.com/drivers-hardware/33433-brightness-won-t-adjust-after-windows-8-1-update.h...

TwoPointOh
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended
Yes, I turned off the adaptive brightness setting for both battery and external power options.
Moreover, the brightness doesn't respond to the slider; the last one is moving when I try to change the brightness from the keyboard or from the Control Panel.

Then, if I try to rollback to the generic drivers (like in the last guide you linked above) the Raedon doesn't work properly and I still have the problem described in my first post.

Can you tell me approximately how long it will take for HP to update the Windows 8.1 drivers for my Pavilion? Is it possible to report this problem to the HP Staff?

Thank you.
HP Recommended

12/15 UPDATE: Finally, I've completely solved the problem. Now both the VGA and the brightness control work perfectly.

After many tests, drivers installations and uninstallations (and a lot of patience :indifferent: ), I'd like to share my solution for the users with my same problem.

Before you start, please check on HP Support Site if the Windows 8.1 drivers are now available.

• If yes, you'll get your graphics working only by installing the correct drivers.
  • If not, please go on reading this post.

==========================================================================================

- If you are planning to do a clean  Windows 8.1 install, just download the Windows 8 drivers for the Intel HD integrated graphics and the AMD Radeon dedicated graphics from HP Support Site and install them. They should work immediately.

- If you have updated  your system from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1, like in my case, you could have some graphic issues. I'll show you how to solve those issues step-by-step.

1. Update your BIOS to the latest version available. Download it from the official HP Support Site.

2. Uninstall both the Intel integrated graphics driver and the AMD dedicated graphics driver from Control Panel. Do not restart your PC.

3. Using the free tool Display Driver Uninstaller  (search on Google for the latest version), clean the registry keys and the system folders to completely remove AMD drivers. Reboot your PC now.

4. Download both the Intel HD Graphics and AMD Radeon drivers for Windows 8 from HP Support Site, but install only the Intel drivers.

5. Enter in the BIOS configuration and change the "Switchable Graphics" to "Fixed" mode.

6. Install now the previously downloaded AMD Radeon drivers and reboot your PC.

When you'll restart Windows 8.1, you should get the Radeon fully working; check in the Device Manager to see if it's all ok. If not, please follow my guide shown in the "12/08 Update" post above and try with that.

Now you (finally!) have both the Intel and AMD Radeon graphics working with the brightness control. 🙂

Thanks anyway to the users who tried to help me.

* NOTE: Those steps worked for me, for my configuration (Intel Core i5 2450M with Intel HD 3000 and AMD Radeon 7470M) so use those guides at your own risk. I do not assume any responsability in case of problems or malfunctions of your system. *

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.