Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Hi all,

A few days ago I was casually browsing the Internet when my HP Pavilion DV7 shut down suddenly. I powered it on and it loaded to the Windows Screen and then powered off again. I removed the battery an the memory (I have 2 4gb DIMMs) and put the battery and one of the DIMMs back in but the issue remains. It's a very odd issue - when I press F2 to go into memory test it begins to cycle through a memory check and then powers off again. When I try to boot into recovery mode or safe mode it also shuts down. I'm not sure if it is a hardware or operating system issue - any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Okay, thank you for your assistance

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Dear Customer

Welcome and Thank you for posting your query on HP Support Forum

It looks like you are facing Random Shutdown Issue with your Notebook. I understand how it feels when things

doesn't work the way we expect. We will surely provide troubleshooting assistance to resolve this issue

According to the error message you have posted I suspect there could be a hardware issue on your Notebook

It could be possible that the Hard Drive/RAM of your Notebook could be corrupted or has become faulty

Please perform the Steps as shown below:-

1. Please "Turn OFF" the Notebook

2. "Power ON" the Notebook and keep tapping the Escape Key during the start up to enter the Start-up Menu

3. Now here, Please select the BIOS option [F10] and under the Advanced or Diagnostic tab

4. You should find the facility to run tests on both the Hard Disk Drive and Memory

Note: Please perform these two tests and post back with the details of any error messages

Please click on the link shown below to find the steps involved in performing a Hard Drive Test

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00439024

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01443317

Hope this helps, for any further queries reply to the post and feel free to join us again

**Click the KUDOS star on left to say Thanks**

Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

Thank You,

K N R K

I work on behalf of HP

I am an HP Employee
HP Recommended
Hi there, I can't even get that far now and it won't even load to the Windows screen. Sometimes it switches off as soon as I power it on, other times I get as far as hitting the escape button and it looks like it is loading into the diagnosis screen before shutting down. I noticed that the caps lock button flashed three times before it shut down. Any ideas?
HP Recommended

It looks like you're not able to boot your Notebook and the Capslock light is flashing 3 times

According to the message you have posted if the Capslock Light is flashing 3 times, that indicates that the Memory

Module or RAM on the Notebook is not functional

If possible please remove and reseat the Memory Module to resolve the issue. Incase if you have 2 Memory Modules, please check one at a time to find out if the Memory Module is faulty

Note: Please Click Here to find the generic steps involved in removing and replacing the Memory Modules for your Notebook

Hope this helps, for any further queries reply to the post and feel free to join us again

Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

Thank You,

K N R K

I work on behalf of HP

I am an HP Employee
HP Recommended
Hi, I already tried reseating both memory modules and I tried each in turn. It would be bizarre if both modules were faulty though. Would faulty memory mean that the laptop wouldn't even start up though?
HP Recommended

Hi, Please see my previous comments - is there anything else I can try?

HP Recommended

To be very honest I feel its a tricky situation and I am finding it difficult to tell you whether it is a Hardware or

Software Issue. I stronly thnk that we need to personally diagnose the Notebook and check whats is going wrong

I strongly recommend you to Contact HP Technical Support over the Phone for further assistance to get your

Notebook diagnosed and serviced by an authorized HP Certified Engineer

You can also Check your warranty Here to verify the warranty status

Thank You,

K N R K

I work on behalf of HP

I am an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Okay, thank you for your assistance

HP Recommended

Did you ever figure this one out? I am having the same issue but I believe its my power supply. I have to unplug the cord from the wall and plug it back in like the power supply is overloading but kicker is my battery doesnt charge so when the power supply loses power the whole unit just goes off. If I simply unplug the power cord from the side of the unit and plug it back in, nothing happens. I have to unplug from teh wall..

- DannyTom -
= CompTIA & Axelos Certifications in progress=
HP Recommended

I gave up on HP support helping with this issue a long time ago, a ticket I submitted on it was compromised offshore and supplied to hackers which hijacked my PC for ransom.  Since I didn't have much in the way of personal files I just re-built from system restore.  The issue happens spontaneously and can't be fixed, I have looked at every possible resource for a solution and there is none.  I just live with it until I have the money to buy a different PC (NOT an HP), my warranty is expired.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.