HP Pavilion G6 Series- Boot Device Not Found Please Install an Operating System on your Hard Disk (11747 Views)
Tutor
Tyhoic
Message 1 of 19 (11,747 Views)

HP Pavilion G6 Series- Boot Device Not Found Please Install an Operating System on your Hard Disk

[ Edited ]

Right, I've ran a few tests, gathered the information, and now I need the help. 

I have a ...HP Pavilion G6-1130sa

Product Number - LZ650EA#AEU (Or could be #ABU, might have wrote it down wrong.)

The Problem...

I was using my laptop, just opened another tab on Chrome and typed something in to search on Google when it happened. My internet started to go, and I wasn't sure what was wrong. After 5 minutes of no loading I tried to close the internet, but it wouldn't work, nor would trying to switch programs, or start Task Manager. 

I shut the computer off by holding power button. 

When I rebooted, I got this:

Boot Device Not Found

Please Install an Operating System on your Hard Disk

Hard Disk (3F0) 

Press Esc for... blah blah. 

For more info go to www.hp.com/go/techcenter/startup

Now, I've found a few topics, and people have been saying that it's a software error and I need to ring up for a replacement Hard Drive (bit late but will call up tomorrow) and others have said it doesn't definitely mean it is the HD, the problem is also cause by a failure in some chipset in the mother board. 

I've pressed F2 for System Diagnose

Got these Options

F1 System info  (Copied everything here so if you need any of this just ask)

F2 Start-Up Test (started this but was taking too long, cancelled and it said 'Test cancelled' and also something about HD Failure)

F3 Run-In Test

F4 Hard Disk Test (Failed - "Hard Disk Does Not Exist")

F11 Error Log

I've also put the Hard Drive into my external Case I have for it. 

Plugged that into another computer and it doesn't seem to pick it up. 

Now, Please note, I have an external hard drive case to use my HD's outside of the Laptops, and I also have an actual External Hard Drive which I bought online for £50 or something like that. 

Now what I've done, I plugged in my External HD, and Started computer, Pressed F10, went to boot options, changed the External so that boots first, not the internal. Restarted, and it works! 

I need to know if I'm actually booted from my External or my Internal (that maybe works now?) 

It has ALL of my documents, and still has the password to log into my user account too. 

I'm not sure if it's just because I backed everything up less than a week ago, or what? 

I need help finding whether I'm booting from internal or external, and also help with maybe fixing the internal?

Update @ 05:35AM 04/OCT/2012

Update on the above Striked out - It turns out the computer was just deciding to find the Boot for some reason after me going into BIOS. It temporarily fixed after literally no changes, once I changed the boot order to my External HDD, that worked, and changed it back etc. So it fixed twice. 

I did a Factory Restore and this fixed it, but only temporarily. It broke again a short while later.

I have now installed a new copy of Windows 7, in the hopes that this will work. It has been ok so far, after one restart, usually takes 2 to kick it off again, or just when using the computer it crashes.

Will keep you updated on whether this has fixed it or not.  

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Tutor
Tyhoic
Message 2 of 19 (11,713 Views)

Re: HP Pavilion G6 Series- Hard Disk Does not Exist?

I'd like to add some more info to my post. 

I was asking if I was actually booting from my external Hard Drive. 

The answer was no.

For some reason, the computer had fixed itself temporarily, and was booting perfectly fine for about 30 minutes. 

It did this twice, before completely stopping again. 

I rang HP earlier, to try to ordewr a replacement HDD. I waqs informed that all I needed was a new copy of Windows 7, as I didn't have the Windows 7 disc (it was ex-display model laptop, no copy was given) and they would send a technition round to my house to install it with a CD. 

I'd be charged for this ofcourse, apparetly, if I were to go to a computer shop I'd be charged 80 pounds for Win 7 and and extra 70 for installation and fixing the laptop. 

The man on the phone seemed very wary on telling me the price and I never actually got an estimate. 

He gave me a number to call so I could get a Tech sent out, but the number didn't work. 

So I rang up the computer shop I love - they are always looking out for you. I explained it to them and what HP Help had said. 

My computer shop guy said that It could either be my copy of Win 7 has become corrupt and needs re-installing (but he doubts it is this as it would say 'File is missing', not 'Boot device') or my Hard Drive software has a problem and will need replacing, which it is most likely to be. 

His estimates for fixing where - If only Win 7 needs replacing will cost me 30 pounds for that, or if the Hard Drive and Win 7 then it will cost me around 60-70 pounds. 

I'm currently burning a Windows 7 Recovery disc to see if that works. If not, will take to the computer shop and keep you updated. 

- No offence3 to you HP, and I'd like you to know that I do love my computer to bits, but the computer shop guy did say HP are cr*p as they have fancy shells but the insides are pretty bad and they cost a fair bit to repair. 

Bare in mind he said this 5 months ago when I had my first couple of problems with it and was buying a spare Dell.

Honor Student
bri70
Message 3 of 19 (11,445 Views)

Re: HP Pavilion G6 Series- Hard Disk Does not Exist?

I had the same problem on several occassions,within 2 or 3 weeks of each other, I did a factory reset each time.

Approx. three months ago after the last occurance  I opened the event log and discovered an event ID6008. I googled this and discovered a Wireless optical mouse can cause this error if left switched on.

Since switching the mouse off when it is not being used I have had no problems

Honor Student
ironmill
Message 4 of 19 (10,894 Views)

Re: HP Pavilion G6 Series- Boot Device Not Found Please Install an Operating System on your Hard Dis

Shut all programs-shut down-Take the hard drive out - put hard drive back in and that should work for a G6 Pavillion... It fixed mine.
Honor Student
bri70
Message 5 of 19 (10,877 Views)

Re: HP Pavilion G6 Series- Boot Device Not Found Please Install an Operating System on your Hard Dis

I had the same problem on several occassions,within 2 or 3 weeks of each other, I did a factory reset each time.

Approx. three months ago after the last occurance  I opened the event log and discovered an event ID6008. I googled this and discovered a Wireless optical mouse can cause this error if left switched on.

Since switching the mouse off when it is not being used I have had no problems. (Update: No problems for several months now.

Top Student
Rammurthynaidu
Message 6 of 19 (8,899 Views)

Hi, 

i got the same message please help me 

Regents Professor
Cloud_Strider
Message 7 of 19 (8,888 Views)

Re: HP Pavilion G6 Series- Boot Device Not Found Please Install an Operating System on your Hard Disk

@Rammurthynaidu,

I understand you are receiving a boot device not found error.  

What is the product number?

NOTE: Do NOT provide the serial number.  

Power on the system and press F2 to open the diagnostics menu.  Run the HDD test.  Did it pass or fail with an error message?  You can try reseating the HDD as noted earlier in the thread.

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
Top Student
Rammurthynaidu
Message 8 of 19 (8,884 Views)

where can i found that product number?

and i did that hdd test it is successfully  passed, actually i had formate my system installed the windows 7, previously it is win8, after formate the OS i am facing this error, i think it is bios settings problem, iam not sure just iam gussing because i have changed the setting before formate my lapy. so please help out of this problem plsssssssssssss

Top Student
Rammurthynaidu
Message 9 of 19 (8,881 Views)

my product number is c5u59ua#aba

Regents Professor
Cloud_Strider
Message 10 of 19 (8,879 Views)

Re: HP Pavilion G6 Series- Boot Device Not Found Please Install an Operating System on your Hard Disk

Since the unit came with Windows 8 pre-installed, you will need to disable secure boot in BIOS.  Fast boot may need to be disabled as well.  Has secure boot been disabled and legacy mode enabled?  It should be in BIOS under either security or system configuration.  If you are trying to use Windows 7, then it won't boot with secure boot enabled.

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation