Question

Tutor
matthew_wong
Message 1 of 21 (2,051 Views)

HP Pavilion dv3-4031TX "A required CD/DVD device driver is missing." clean installing Windows 7

[ Edited ]

Hi all,

I have a HP Pavilion dv3-4031TX notebook and I want to do a clean install to upgrade to 64-bit OS.
I made a bootable USB drive by Microsoft's USB/DVD Download tool with the official ISO from digitalriver's server.
I successfully booted with my USB drive and got into the installation page and followed the prompts.
Moments after pressing "Install Now", a message saying "A required CD/DVD device driver is missing." poped up and the installer did not proceed.  It was prompting me to load a driver.
I've already tried methods found in other threads such as unplugging the USB drive and pluggin it into a different USB port, disabling Device Driver Signature Enforcement upon startup etc.  This problem still persists.
There is a method of changing the SATA controller mode in BIOS to IDE or AHCI instead of RAID, but it's not found in BIOS. My BIOS version is F.27
What else could I do?
Thanks in advance.
Some information regarding the source of my ISO image:
This is the ISO image I use to make my bootable USB drive.  Google Chrome said the file size was 3.1GB while downloading.  It turned out to be 2.0GB.  I then used UltraISO to extract it and re-make a standard (uncompressed) ISO image.  Its size 'returned' to 3.1GB.  The new image was used to make the bootable USB drive.
I also used the ei.cfg removal utility to make my ISO image universal.
PhD Student
WaseemW
Message 2 of 21 (2,024 Views)

Re: HP Pavilion dv3-4031TX "A required CD/DVD device driver is missing." clean installing

most Consumer notebooks are AHCI mode only, there is no option to disable the SATA mode and make it work as IDE mode...

since you are trying retail version of OS, you can download the SATA driver from hp.com, extract the files and copy them to USB. that can help you.

if you want Factory installed Image, this link can help you get new media and install afresh...

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&docname=bph07143

hope it helps, Good luck.

Regards,
WW
“I am an HP Employee“
***** Click the KUDOS star on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem***
Tutor
matthew_wong
Message 3 of 21 (2,008 Views)

Re: HP Pavilion dv3-4031TX "A required CD/DVD device driver is missing." clean installing

I downloaded that ISO image and made a bootable USB by Microsoft Windows 7 USB/DVD download tool.

I tried locating drivers for my AHCI controller driver and copying it onto another USB drive and then boot from the bootable USB to attempt an installation.  When it asked for a driver, I pluged in the other USB and let it scan it.  No driver came up.

I also tried plugging my bootable USB into another USB port, the problem still persists.

I have 4GB RAM installed on my notebook.  Will pulling 2GB out work?  It's a notebook so I can't really pull it out.  The DVD drive can't be unplugged either.

What else could I do?

I'm in Australia and broadband services here metre my usage, so I can't afford downloading another ISO image right now.

I searched through hp.com, there was no SATA driver for my modem to be downloaded.
PhD Student
WaseemW
Message 4 of 21 (2,004 Views)

Hi,

please follow the steps here, just that you need to download different Softpaq number for your model and extract the drivers. rest all steps are the same.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&docname=c03027843

softpaq you need to doenload is here.

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp50501-51000/sp50859.exe

once downloaded run the file in any PC, it will create a folder C:\sp50859; once completed software will prompt you to install, please cancel it as we need to to just take the driver from this PC to affected one.

Navigate it to the extracted folder from command prompt. Extract the drivers from setup.exeusing the following command:

C:\SP50859>setup.exe -A -P C:\SP50859\Drivers
Copy the extracted driver on a thumb drive. While selecting the installation partition during Windows setup, click on Load driver and point to the extracted driver on the thumb drive.

Regards,
WW
“I am an HP Employee“
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem***
Tutor
matthew_wong
Message 5 of 21 (2,000 Views)

[ Edited ]

Just tried it...

the installer can recognise my driver, but it can't install that device.

it poped up "No new devices could be found.  Make sure the driver files are correct and located on the driver installation media."

PhD Student
WaseemW
Message 6 of 21 (1,998 Views)

Hi,

Can you share the error picture? screenshot of may be using phone camera if at the time of installation itself? thank you

Regards,
WW
“I am an HP Employee“
Tutor
matthew_wong
Message 7 of 21 (1,969 Views)

20120804_133057 - Copy.jpg

This is what it showed me after it attempted to install the driver.

Provost
CherylG
Message 8 of 21 (1,966 Views)

Solution here:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-hardware/a-required-cddvd-device-driver-i...

******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button is a way to give Kudo's -Thanks!.******
**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
Tutor
matthew_wong
Message 9 of 21 (1,964 Views)

I tried it in the first place.  It did not work.

Thanks anyway.

Provost
CherylG
Message 10 of 21 (1,960 Views)

Does your Windows 7 iso include SP1?

******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button is a way to give Kudo's -Thanks!.******
**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation