HP Pavilion dv6-3267cl will not play blu-ray (6525 Views)
Student
MDGGD
Message 1 of 47 (6,525 Views)

HP Pavilion dv6-3267cl will not play blu-ray

Not sure what I am doing wrong.  My laptop will play a dvd, but when I put in a blu-ray disc for the first time today and selected PLAY, the following message popped up:

Windows Media Player cannot play the DVD. The disc was created in a manner that the Player does not support.  Thank you in advance for any advice.

Regents Professor
HaggisCat
Message 2 of 47 (6,499 Views)

Re: HP Pavilion dv6-3267cl will not play blu-ray

Windows Media Player can't play Blu-ray's, it was never meant to. Go to Control Panel and find "Auto Play" look down that list and find "Blu-ray Disc Movie" click on the drop down box and you should have a choice there for Media Smart DVD. Choose that and save the setting in the lower right corner.

Restart the laptop and go back and make sure the setting has been saved. Load your movie with out opening Media Smart DVD.

Give it a minute or 2, but it should not take more then 3 or 4 minutes to start. If you get a prompt to "Press Play to Start Playing" ignore that and just let it load.

If you still have problems with Media Smart, then post again.

Tutor
Maria92
Message 3 of 47 (5,064 Views)

I have hpmediasmart and have it as my auto programme and starts up fine and everything. recognizes there is a disc but wont play it. says disc ready for playing and when i press play it tries to load, screen goes black and i am back at disc is ready for playing. i have recently purchased the internal bluray drive and it was working at the start with a free trial of powerdvd12 once, and then it stopped and now nothing is working.

Regents Professor
HaggisCat
Message 4 of 47 (5,058 Views)

[ Edited ]

http://update.cyberlink.com/ftpdload/patch/PowerDVD/DVD120706-03/HP-CNB.HP_RiTA10_v4504_DVD120706-03...

If you still have the trial of Power DVD12, then you need to uninstall that first before installing DVD10. HP Media Smart doesn't matter.

Here is Cyberlink's Power DVD10 which is free for HP users.

Save it to the desk top and install it from there, not from a temporary folder.

After it installs restart the computer.

Load you Blu-ray movie by using the eject button on the drawer face and let Power DVD10 it automatically, with out starting Power DVD10.

If you get a pop-up on the right bottom corner of your screen prompting you to upgrade to Power DVD 12, ignore it and close it off.

If you get another pop-up in the middle of your screen saying that you need to update the player in order to play this disc, ignore that and close that window off using the red X in the upper right hand corner _ don't click on anything else in that window. After you close it off, press play.

If it won't install, post again and if you are running Comodo FireWall and/or McAffee, these need to be disabled and in some cases McAffee needs to be totaly uninstalled.

Tutor
Maria92
Message 5 of 47 (5,038 Views)

[ Edited ]

Still nothing. I'm getting the same thing as before, the programme loads, recognizes what movie it is, loads 100% but gives me a black screen and stays at 0:00:00. Programme doesnt respond very well when I try to move it or stop it etc Wont even eject disc. Programme is incredibly slow and crashes a lot. Sometimes it will eject disc but it never plays it. Just loads and stays at 0

Regents Professor
HaggisCat
Message 6 of 47 (5,018 Views)

[ Edited ]

Leave everything in place with the Cyberlink products and try TMT 5's trial.

You will get a few blocks from Windows Firewall _ just close those off.

I am trying to determine if the drive is at fault.

http://www.arcsoft.com/totalmedia-theatre/

Also, what is the Blu-ray you're trying to play ?

What anti virus program are you running, if any ?

Tutor
Maria92
Message 7 of 47 (5,010 Views)

Everytime the laptop tries to play a blue ray it says : Colour scheme changed to Windows 7 basic. It loads up till then, once it changes the programme crashes and turnes white every time. Each programme reacts differently but in essense everytime it does that is when it seems to stop working 

The programme doesnt crash with friends with benefits but just tries to load, turns screen black and just keeps going to play and never past

My antivirus is the free version of avast

im playing the covenant and friends with benefits

Regents Professor
HaggisCat
Message 8 of 47 (5,008 Views)

The colour scheme changing to basic is normal when running TMT 5.

Uninstall TMT 5 and then your free Avast Antivirus software and restart. You will start getting a Windows message that you have no anti virus software. Go into Windows Action Centre in the control panel and shut that off temporarily.

Go back to Arc Soft's web page and save the install file to the desk top and install it from there, not from a temporary folder.

Make sure this is all done while Avast is uninstalled.

As long as you go directly to Arc Soft, then you're not going to get a virus.

If your movie plays then Avast is blocking files in it's virus chest and if you reinstall Avast, you're going to have to dig around and tell Avast to let the files load.

You can use Microsoft Security Essentials and that will be OK.

Tutor
Maria92
Message 9 of 47 (4,996 Views)

Still the same thing..comes up with color scheme had been chaged to windows 7 Basic: a running program isnt compatible with certain visual elements of windows. 

The weird thing is the first time I tried it ,it playd a bluray and it never playd a second one? This was on free trial of Power DVD 12. No settings have been changed as far as I know so it shouldnt be the drive's fault should it? Plus it plays normal dvd's but the bluray programs seem to have problems with them too sometimes. Slows down the laptop a lot. 

Regents Professor
HaggisCat
Message 10 of 47 (4,987 Views)

[ Edited ]

This may take a while, but if you're willing to go ahead we'll dig deeper as to what the problem is, but I need your full model number.

It can be found on the sticker on the under side of the laptop. If you're not sure what number to give me, give them all to me except the SERIAL number.

Also, are you running Windows 7 64 bit, if not what are you running for an operating system ?

Do you know how to take a screen shot(s) what is in programs and features ?

I need to what you're running and try to figure out what's causing the Blu-ray problem.

A DVD can play just fine because the Blu-ray uses a totally different lens, the two formats are quite separate from each other even though they use the same drive.

You also said that you just purchased a Blu-ray drive _ is it a Sony Optiarc 5500 drive ?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation