Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi all, it's common on these threads to see people say "Yeah me too" but sometimes it's not exactly the same, could be a similar symptom with a different root cause, so first let me thank all those who put in their actual model number, that helps, product numbers are even better.

After that the next question is"Did your USB 3.0 ports ever work"

In which case if they did what did you do to your unit that then ended in them not working, please be precise.

Hey it's your computer, we're not saying you can't do what you want with it, but it does affect what assistance we would then offer.

Let's take the dv6-6135dx...since it's in the thread title, now if your PC is not working right out of the box you can try some updates and then you should call support....but

If you blew away the image and put "something else" on then what did you put on?

if it's still windows 7 then I would recommend the 3 updates, the latest BIOS, the USB 3.0 Host Controller driver &...the latest Video driver for your Notebook from our website.

In the testing I've done that worked for me.

also if you are staying with Windows 7 then why did you blow it away, if you just wanted less of the "additional features" to be polite...then did you know that inside the Recovery Manager feature we have an option to install a Minimized image that reduces the amount of "additional features" HP loads on to the unit?

Now if you want that and you blew away your partitions you are going to have to buy a Recovery disc set and run that to put the factory image on first, that will put the original factory image on your unit, and then after checking your ports work again you can go in and run the Minimized Recovery and see how you like that look and feel.

If you didn't delete the Recovery Manager then you should be able to access it by tapping the "f11" key while booting up.

So there are a couple of avenues for you to follow and then please let us all know your feedback please so we can learn from your experiences.

Thank you and good luck.

I am an HP employee
Knowledge is power...Power to the people
HP Recommended

well, me, the one with the dv7-6165us, everything about the USB 3.0 was working fine, but I deleted the hard drive because of the crapware, I DID burn the recovery discs to DVDs which are 4, and then deleted everything from the laptop, and installed a clean OS disc from a friend. I proceed to download all drivers from here, but when I notice, device manager gave 3 things with the warning icon, two USB controller and the other one is SM bus controller. The renesas driver that were on the site for my laptop didnt worked, neither the USB 3.0 ports at all ( the 3.0 ones to the left of my PC) they power up my external portable hard drive and jump drive, but no data works, no "installing new hardware" message the 1st time i connect something  however, the 2.0 on  the right work just fine, but not these ones. Then reformatted my PC with the burnt OEM discs i created and then i noticed that the dics didnt burn properly, the 1st one was corrupted and the 2,3 and 4 were blank, so what's next? I proceed to call HP and they say to me that I have to buy the recovery discs, but I refused because there was a problem with the recovery discs, that wasnt my fault and I wasnt gonna pay 28 dollars for a disc when I only needed the USB 3.0 drivers, nothing more. I am pretty dissapointed in that part, because i love HP products, but the costumer service part is starting to suck. I used to have HP laptops all the time, this is my 3rd one, but looks like it will be the last since I am pretty dissapointed...    By the way i didnt knew i could install a lighter copy of the recovery partition, thanks about that but is kinda late though...

HP Recommended

Hi JES1888, where in the world are you?

I am an HP employee
Knowledge is power...Power to the people
HP Recommended

Hi there, I live in Puerto Rico

HP Recommended

The problem is the HP doesn't have the drivers labeled properly. The USB 3.0 drivers they have under "Chipset" do NOT enable the ports in Windows 7 on the DV6-6135DX. I found this out the hard way as well as others.

I replaced the harddrive and decided to use a generic version of Windows 7 to avoid the HP bloatware. After installation, the USB3 port drivers weren't installed and installing the package from the chipset section did nothing. I then found a thread at Notebookreview.com where some one told me where the USB drivers were.

The drivers for the USB 3.0 ports/chipset are rolled into the VIDEO driver package. After I installed the video driver package, my USB 3.0 ports were working. I then installed a more up to date video driver from the AMD site and am good to go.

Nowhere on the HP driver page does it mention that the USB 3.0 drivers are actually part of the video drivers package. I had to find the info from a thread at Notebookreview.com. It should not be this way. HP should either break out the drivers into 2 packages and put them in the appropriate section or put some type of note in the chipset section about where the chipset drivers really are.

HP Recommended

...and we have a winner! Thanks a bunch Chuck_IV! 

HP Recommended

definitely that was my problem too, the renesas drivers doesnt have to do **bleep** with this!!!!!!  thanks a lot my friend!!

and what about the coolsense tech, I dont see that one listed in my drivers download page.   :s

HP Recommended

The driver is included in the ATI Catalyst Installer (Graphic Driver). When Installing catalyst choose costum not on the express installation. Then when option promted deselect all drivers to install then "Select All". After that continue install. It will require a system reboot when installation is done. And this will install your USB 3.0 driver problem. 

I discover this from the laptop I upgraded to Win7 Ultimate x64 HP Pavilion dv6_6145dx. And I think this can also be work properly in your device. Hope this will help. Thank you. 

HP Recommended

link please!!!

im going crazy with this thing/!!!!

HP Recommended

same, here i just got my dv6-6135dx and cannot search for it on the hp site!!!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.