Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

It takes 15 minutes just to get to the desktop... My ESET anti-virus doesn't detect any viruses and I already fully reformatted the thing but it still starts up really slow. http://i51.tinypic.com/zlanlu.png

The laptop's running on Windows 7 if that means anything.

28 REPLIES 28
HP Recommended

Hi,

Start the notebook and let Windows fully load.  Hold down the Windows key and press R.  In to the Run box type msconfig and hit enter.  In the following window, click the Start up tab, remove the tick next to each start up item and then click Apply to make the change.  Reboot the notebook and see if it now starts normally.  If it does, re-enable one start up item at a time, click Apply and reboot to check if it still starts ok.  Keep doing this until you encounter the problem and you will know the last program you set to start is causing the slow boot issue.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

http://i55.tinypic.com/zldtgm.png

http://i56.tinypic.com/34dmumv.png

Tried to uncheck everything on the start up and rebooted but it still had that 15 minute loading time to get to the desktop...

HP Recommended

Hi,

Shutdown the notebook.  Tap away at f10 as you start the notebook to enter the bios menu.  Under the Advanced or Diagnostic tab you should find the facility to run tests on both the Hard Drive and Memory.  Post back with the details of any error messages.

If both the above tests pass, try the following.

From the Start Menu, open All Programs, open Accessories, right click the Command Prompt and select 'Run as Administrator'.  In to the prompt type the following command and hit enter.

sfc /scannow                 ( note that there is a space between sfc and the / )

Let the process complete, then type exit and hit enter.

Next, click the Start Menu, click Computer, left click Local Disc C once to highlight it, right click Local Disc C and select Properties.  Click the Tools tab and then click the button to 'Check the Drive for Errors'.  In the following window make sure both boxes are ticked and then click Start.  Part of this process will require a restart to check the drive.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Tests on Hard Drive and Memory: No errors

sfc /scannow results: Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations

Checked for Errors: Local Disk C, took roughly 3 hours to finish stages 1~5.

It still takes 15 minutes just to get to the desktop...

HP Recommended

Hi,

Tap away at f8 as you start the notebook to enter Windows Recovery Console, use the arrow keys to select Safe Mode and hit enter - how long does it take to load the Desktop in this mode?

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

It's pretty much the same at Safe Mode...

HP Recommended

Hi,

When you ran the test on the Hard Drive in the bios, do you have the option to run a quick and a comprehensive test?

If you have this option, have you run the comprehensive test?

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Didn't get that option =/

HP Recommended

Hi,

Has it always been slow to load or has this just happened recently?

Did reinstalling the OS make any difference to the start up time at first?

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.