HP Pavilion dv6604nr Will Not Boot Up - err1err3 Message (15109 Views)
Honor Student
hpnotebook44
Message 1 of 3 (15,109 Views)

HP Pavilion dv6604nr Will Not Boot Up - err1err3 Message

I have an HP Pavilion Entertainment laptop that as of yesterday, will not boot up.  You can hear the disk drive humming along, but you ultimately just get a black screen and the message err1err3.  If you hit enter, you get the message "operating system not found".

I have tried running the F10 setup command, but when running the diagnotics primary hard disk self test, I get the message " diagnostics not supported".  The machine will not let me run the F11 system recovery command and as luck would have it, I never made a recovery disk, as all my previous laptops have been Dell's, which come with restore disks.

I called HP's tech support but because the machine is out of the 1year warranty period by a whole 4months....wow....what quality; I am stuck paying them hourly tech support, or attempting to fix this on my own.  I can order a set of restore / recovery disks from HP for $15, but I'm curious if anyone has any experience with these type of disk errors?  HP indicated $150 - $200 for a new disk drive, but this makes no sense, as new laptops are selling for $400.

Thanks for any insight or help.

Distinguished Professor
Rakhmad
Message 2 of 3 (15,083 Views)

Re: HP Pavilion dv6604nr Will Not Boot Up - err1err3 Message

Are you sure it was a hardware failure? Try HP doc, here

Please try step 1, if it failed, then your harddisk has broken.

HP price is known expensive, I dont know why.

You may buy a new harddisk less than $90

For 7200 rpm 320 GB Hitachi is $74.99 at newegg.com

or

WD 320GB 5200 rpm, here

For the operating system, $15 is not so expensive. just buy it from HP.

______

Pavilion DV2922TX, XP-SP3 32bit, Intel T5750 2.0Ghz, Nvidia Geforce 8400M GS with 128MB, 4GB 667 DDR2, 250GB HDD
Honor Student
pollox
Message 3 of 3 (7,772 Views)

Re: HP Pavilion dv6604nr Will Not Boot Up - err1err3 Message

FWIW I just fixed this on a friend's machine (HP desktop). In a nutshell, it was a corrupted MBR caused by viri or the virus scanner cleanup he did.

Do a web search for your OS and "fixmbr" & "fixboot"; this may help, if the problem isn't hardware.

It appears that the "Err1Err3" means that the machine can't use the data in the MBR or can't find it, so common causes would range from data corruption, possibly from a failing drive, to mis configured BIOS settings (there's an article on the HP about that, the only one that references this error).

I hope this helps someone else save time. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation