Question

Tutor
Zengan
Message 1 of 21 (7,479 Views)
Accepted Solution

HP Pavilion dv7-3170el : volume graphic bar disappeared

[ Edited ]

Good evening to all.

I have a problem on my laptop: the gray, graphic bar, of the sensor touch under the display, is no more showed on screen when I try to set the volume. The volume level is adjustable correctly ( the slide cursors of windows mixer works normally ) the mute control is ok, and the dvd controls works good.

I'd updated my machine with a clear copy of Windows 7 home premium x64, without HP software installed, I'd installed all of drivers requested, downloaded from HP service page, and they are showed in device manager, without errors. I would like to know, which is the necessary software that allow the correct display of this utility. Can someone help me?

Thank you very much for the answers. 

:manhappy:

Regents Professor
HaggisCat
Message 2 of 21 (7,463 Views)

Re: Dv7-Pavilion 3170el : volume graphic bar disappeared - How to get it back ?

Install your Media Smart Smart Menu. The software for the volume display is in there. Depending on what version you have you will have to install at least one Media Smart program. Sometimes it takes 3.

I checked and there is no Smart Menu available in W7

Use this one, if it does not work let me know.

http://g.imagehost.org/download/0206/MSMenu  Install the one for 64 bit.

It is in a rar file. Go to this link and download the trial to extract it.

http://www.rarlab.com/download.htm

Tutor
Zengan
Message 3 of 21 (7,459 Views)

[ Edited ]

Thank you very much. I have already founded and tried, the media smart smart menu on this site : UserDrivers and Here but I did'nt tried to install any application by mediasmart; only quick launch buttons (with other requested drivers).

That's a good advice. I'm just going to do it. I will inform you. :smileyvery-happy:

Regents Professor
HaggisCat
Message 4 of 21 (7,442 Views)

I think you will find ounce you get your hotkeys to work you may be able to uninstall the Quick launch button software.

Tutor
Zengan
Message 5 of 21 (7,431 Views)

Ok, here I am, I tried your solution:

-Installed the program (smart menu) of your link: not work not compatible or old version.

-Installed smart menu from my links and some mediasmart applications (webcam,dvd,advisor) them working correctly but, the volume bar is STILL NOT SHOWED!

The mistery of the disappeared bar continue ... :manwink:

Regents Professor
HaggisCat
Message 6 of 21 (7,412 Views)

[ Edited ]

When you performed your clean install, did you happen to save your swsetup file in drive "C" ?

It has the Menu in there that came with Vista, that may have worked. Did you totally reformat the drive, delete it or did you allow the W7 installation disc to create a "Windows Old File" ?

There are many other Menu's to try, but if you had the original one for your machine that would be better.

Not the HP advisor, try the HP video editing software with the others. It's quite large, but I am experimenting here.

Tutor
Zengan
Message 7 of 21 (7,384 Views)

[ Edited ]

mmm ... I'm not sure to catch it very well ... what is the swsetup file ... I only have the 4 recovery disks set created after buy the product.

I have reformatted all of my disk with nothing to save.

Now I will try to install all of the mediasmart applications, step by step, until the bar will be showed (maybe) I hope, again ...

I think that should be a stupid box unchecked anywhere .

Regents Professor
HaggisCat
Message 8 of 21 (7,371 Views)

[ Edited ]

The swsetup file stands for "software setup". Almost everything on the laptop including drivers, and your stock Media Smart Menu would have been in there.

Those three that you have should be enough to get it going. Not including the HP Advisor, loose that one, it's lousy software and your new W7 install is better off with out it.

Ounce you have them installed open one of them up, close it and then restart.

If you don't have any luck I will send you my Menu from my dv8. It should work. Check to see if the menu is installed too. Go to programs and features, it should be there.

Go into the task manager and look under processes, it will be marked as "SMART MENU"

Provost
CherylG
Message 9 of 21 (7,366 Views)

Just a suggestion of alternate software to try if all else fails. Follow HaggisCat's suggestions first. Then if all that is missing is still on screen display, many have used this in clean Win 7 installs.( I have tested it myself but don't care for any OSD)

3RVX

******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button is a way to give Kudo's -Thanks!.******
**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
Regents Professor
HaggisCat
Message 10 of 21 (7,363 Views)

That's a cool tool. I found that a problem with the HP slider volume control is that you have to have at least one Media Smart program installed for it to work. This depends upon what version it is of course.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation