Question

Top Student
Chaminda
Message 1 of 11 (52,934 Views)

HP Pavilion dv9500 with Windows 7

Currently I'm using a HP Pavilion dv9500 Notebook computer with Windows Vista Home Premium pre-loaded as the Operating System. I want to findout from HP support forum, weather I can upgrade/install Windows 7 over Windows Vista. Please somebody answer me.
Student
ramagoon
Message 2 of 11 (52,902 Views)

Re: HP Pavilion dv9500 with Windows 7

I took the plunge and installed Windows 7 Ultimate on my HP dv9500 laptop.  It installed all the devices that I'm aware of just fine.  The only issue I initially experienced was the video.  I searched Windows Update when updating the video driver, and it installed the correct nvidia driver perfectly.  There are about 3 devices in device manager that it doesn't know what it is, and I haven't figured it out yet.  One is a coprocessor device, and the two others are unknown devices.  I disabled them, because they don't seem to be giving any problems.  The fingerprint sensor didn't install correctly either (I don't use it anyway).  The HP webcam did installed correctly.  The touch pannel with the blue sensor lights even work fine.  So far, I am very pleased.
Student
Teddism
Message 3 of 11 (51,331 Views)

I installed Windows 7 Professional and have issues with the Video too.  I installed all of the drivers perfectly, but once or twice a day, my computer freezes and the screen flashes for about 5-10 seconds and then it recovers itself.  I have the problem on both the laptop screen and extrenal monitors alike. 

Also, I can't get the fingerprint reader to work for the life of me under Windows 7. 

Any thoughts on either of these?

Student
oOmikkelsenOo
Message 4 of 11 (48,401 Views)

It sounds like a hardware problem but it could your graphic driver try too remove the driver and let you computer install it agin then go to Nvidia and get the new driver and see if that do the trick

i ron Windows 7 Ulttimate on my Labby and have no problem

I think you can get the old vista fingerprint driver and ther are a new you just have to search for it awhile but i can be done

Mikkesen

Student
Warmonger666
Message 5 of 11 (47,818 Views)

I have also installed Windows 7 Professional on my DV9500.  I have the same 3 unknown devices in device manager but they don't seem to matter.  Even the webcam is working, which I could never get to work under Vista.  Also, QuickPlay won't load.  It just loads the DVD play but the soft button just flashes the screen and doesn't load.

The HP QuickTouch (volume control) for Vista did load and does work.  Also the Lightscribe Host software did load. 

I'm going to try Cyberlinks Quickplay version.

Honor Student
Meiss
Message 6 of 11 (47,491 Views)

if you can find the device id.... search on wwww.pcidatabase.com to find out where/what it could be.

Student
solkid2419
Message 7 of 11 (41,373 Views)

I used the automatic feature in upgrade driver in win 7 and it found downloaded and installed the nvidia geforce 7150/nforce 630M driver and it works

Student
ilir2010
Message 8 of 11 (37,494 Views)

thx

Honor Student
Mani0101
Message 9 of 11 (34,114 Views)

Hi, Did the driver you updated (you mentiioned nvidia geforce 7150/nforce 630M) works well? No crashes, on your HP DV9500, which you updated from Vista to Windows 7?  My update does not work, so can you please tell me the nvidia driver version, since their latest versions (I tried a few) do not work.  You can check driver version on nVidia Control panel.

Anyone else you could tell me which nVidia driver actually works for HP DV9500, which has a GS8600M nVidia card, when upgraded to Windows 7. 

Problem is HP would not support upgrade to Win 7 on that model series, and hence has not provided a updated driver for the graphics card.  Last 2-3 latest drivers from Nvidia website for that card do not work, nor the HP driver version for Vista.  I even tried a nVidia 270.51 modded driver from laptopvideo2go, but it gave a blanl screen after 1-2 days.  When that happens, nothing else works, except going in safe mode and uninstall nVidia driver, and back to generic VGA driver, which is pretty much useless.

I really wish HP support would try to be reasonable and at least suggest a driver, even though they would not support it.  I heard somewhere that the problem is with their motherboard incompatibility with 8600GS under WIn 7 environment.  But if they put a little effort, I am sure they can come up with a patch.  They just do not want to support it.

Thanks in advance.

solkid2419 wrote:

I used the automatic feature in upgrade driver in win 7 and it found downloaded and installed the nvidia geforce 7150/nforce 630M driver and it works

Student
danli
Message 10 of 11 (3,708 Views)

hi 

I've developed a Windows Vista to Windows 7, but the remote does not work and I can not find the driver
Help me if you please. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation